The layout for the card comes from Retro Sketches challenge. This is the sketch that competitors were given to work with:
And the choice of colours came from the Color Throwdown challenge – pink, purple/mulberry, metallic gold, and hot pink. They provided this image to showcase the given colours:
I had a lot of fun going through the card and papers that I have to try to find suitable pieces to use for this. The pink was the easiest. I had a piece of simple pink card-stock which, as I didn’t have a pre-made square card-base, I measured, scored and folded to create the card base. I don’t have a scoring board, any kind of scoring tool, or a bone folder to make the crease, so I had to improvise. I used a mechanical pencil as my scoring tool, with a ruler to run against to keep the line perfectly straight. I then folded along the scored line and used the ruler as a make shift bone folder to crisp up the fold.
The other colours were a little tricky and it took me a while to come up with what to use for them. I remembered that I had some ink that might work for one of them, and after looking them over decided to use a purple ink to incorporate the required purple into the card. The hot pink comes in with the heart patterned paper, and the gold is of course the golden foil card. I actually had two different shades of golden foil card, and chose to go with the warmer of the two.
Having decided on my cards I measured and cut them to the correct sizes. I actually traced the sketch out onto my own grid paper to work out exactly what sizes I should be working with. I know I didn’t have to be exact (and I wasn’t really), it just helped me more clearly understand the sizes I needed to use. At first I wasn’t sure whether to use the heart paper or the gold as the bigger panel. As you can see I went for the heart paper, as I felt the gold might be a bit overpowering, but I think it could have worked either way.
I used a neutral cream square for the top as I felt that it would be a better choice for stamping on. My stamp collection is fairly limited at the moment, so as much as I would have loved to have a pretty image to stamp on I went with what I had. The sentiment “happy” comes from the same stamp set I used for yesterday’s card, which is Halftone Happy from Altenew.
After stamping I used black and white twine wound around the white card several times to fulfill that part of the sketch. It very neatly covered up an ink smudge for me! I wanted to add a bow but felt that a simple bow wouldn’t make enough of a statement. Instead I made a double bow following this tutorial, which was nice and simple to make. I don’t have any glue dots which seems to be the usual thing to use for attaching these kinds of embellishments. Instead I took another piece of twine and used that to tie the bow in place. I decided to leave the tails of that piece long too.
For the little banners I used the same pink as the background card. I had a hard time cutting them out… I wasn’t overly happy with how they looked together, so I ran around the top one with a gold marker and then added dots at random with the same pen.
With all my components done I stuck them together, layering them in keeping with the provided layout. I purposefully stuck the banners so that they go slightly above the edge of the white card they are on. The heart paper and the gold are just stuck on with a normal glue stick, but I used dimensionals to raise the white topper a little.
I didn’t have a suitable embellishment to add to the top of the banners unfortunately, but think the card works well enough without them.
I’m fairly pleased (I nearly said happy…!) with how the card has turned out. It’s by no means perfect, but I am still learning. It’s very different from the card I made yesterday. I think this particular cardstock is not really ideal for making card bases as it’s a bit lightweight. As you can see in the picture the glue actually caused it to warp a bit. The stamp didn’t come through as well as I would have liked either.
I think I did a good job of meeting the criteria for the challenges, and I had a lot of fun doing them. Let me know what you think of it!