The layout for the card is based on this one as given by retrosketches:
The Butterfly Challenge influenced basically all the rest of the card. Before I get into that, I just quickly want to explain that I literally only just found out about the Butterfly Challenge and knew I had to take part. My butterfly punch is basically the only punch I have, and as such gets a lot of use. A challenge that features butterflies seems like a perfect excuse to use it! (And of course the butterfly punch is very handy for using up snippets of card!)
Anyway, the Butterfly Challenge always includes butterflies, but also involves using a different letter of the alphabet to create a theme. This time the letter was S for stamping and/or sapphire. I wanted to use both stamping and sapphire, but was stymied by my lack of sapphire (or any suitable blue) paper.
This forced me to use my creativity a bit more. I decided to make my own patterned paper to use. I wanted the strips (in the layout) to coordinate, being from two patterns rather than four. I had two different stamps with illegible writing/wording on them that I figured would work well, so I used those and some blue ink to make my patterned paper.
I then cut the paper for the image panel. I decided I wanted the back one of the two to have some colour. So I brushed it with the blue ink pad. I really liked the effect that gave, and decided to do the same thing on my butterfly after punching it.
I stuck all the components I had so far onto a piece of backing paper of the same colour as what I’d been using so far. I attached a deep blue ribbon, and stamped on my chosen sentiment, again in blue.
Next I needed to choose some embellishments to put on. I decided not to do a bow, but found a button that seemed to work well as an alternative. I stuck a few other buttons as embellishments too. (Thanks to my mother-in-law for bringing me a load of buttons when they visited this weekend!)
Once all the was done I stuck the whole thing down on a card base and that was that.
I’m pretty happy with how the whole thing turned out. It forced me to play with some different techniques, and I think it worked out quite well in the end. I still need to work on my stamping (I managed to smudge the sentiment), and also my positioning of things when I stick them down needs some work. In any case, I like the way this card looks.