I have another butterfly card for you today! This one is a response to five challenges: Retrosketches, Craft Rocket, Cute Card Thursday, Craftyhazelnut’s Patterned Paper, and The Sisterhood of Crafters.
The layout comes from Retrosketches. I’ll be honest, when I first saw the sketch I did think I would skip this time. It seemed like it might be difficult to do with the limited supplies and equipment I had. But I decided to give it a go in the end.
The theme for the Craft Rocket challenge was Mother’s Day/Female. Having already made a mother’s day card, and (at least currently) lacking any stamps that would work for a mother’s day I decided just to go with a more general female card.
Cute Card Thursday’s floral theme and the Think Spring theme at The Sisterhood of Crafters both seemed like they would fit well with the female theme, so I decided to tie them in too.
Finally Craftyhazelnut’s Patterned Paper – I actually didn’t go into making this card planning to enter it into this challenge, but with the result it felt like a good fit!
I began by measuring out the deep pink paper for the backing sheet and the tag. It’s hard to tell from the picture, but this paper has a really lovely texture in it. I had just enough of it for those two components.
Next I measured the pink and white chevron paper, and the flower paper, and cut them to size. Incidentally, all the patterned papers I used here came from the surprise paper packets I ordered from my favourite craft shop. Aren’t they pretty?
I really wasn’t sure what to do for the inner part of the tag. I didn’t have another paper that seemed like it would work. Eventually I had the idea to stamp and fussy cut this butterfly, which is a new stamp I got recently from a set called My Girl by My Mind’s Eye. I decided to stamp it in green, to tie in with the green on the flowery paper, as I felt there was already plenty of pink on the card!
Next was the sentiment. I did go for pink for that, because I felt that using green again wouldn’t look right.
I adhered the layers together with roller adhesive. I used foam tape to attach the dark pink tag, and the roller adhesive again to put the sentiment on that. The butterfly is attached with dimensionals, with a double layer under the upper wings to give more of a look of movement.
Finally I added the embellishments. The bow is made of white ribbon which I tied and attached with a dab of glue. And the pink rhinestone flowers. Which looking at the card now I realise I could have positioned better, but there we are.
I’m pretty happy with how the card turned up. I think the colours work well together, and the butterfly was a good choice to use. And my stamping actually looks decent! Not perfect, but decent. I still managed to smudge the sentiment slightly… It does go to show what a difference good quality stamps are. So much easier to use than the (slightly flimsy) fox stamp, for example.