This card took a lot of thought to make. Usually when I start making a card I have some idea what I want to make, whether it’s inspired by challenges or not. With this card I knew what the challenge prompts were – mostly spring related! – but I had no idea what I wanted to do for it.
I wanted to use the layout from Mojo Mondays. With that decided I knew I needed some kind of focal panel in the front, then perhaps interesting patterns to use for the strip and the circle.
One of the other challenges this card is a response to is Daring Cardmakers. They provided an image for inspiration. From that image I picked up mostly on the flowers and the shades of yellow. (Later when trying to decide what embellishment to add I realised I needed a third element, so I went for string.)
The other challenges this card is a response to are: Craftyhazelnut’s patterned paper challenge; TCP Tuesday Challenge #309 – Spring; and Suzy Bee’s Bloomin’ Challenge – anything goes with a twist, a touch of spring.
So with my elements picked out, the layout in front of me, and the general theme of “spring” in mind, I started to make the card. I decided I wanted to use one of my butterfly stamps, partly because I wanted an animal involved and a butterfly seems more spring-like than a fox or an elephant.
I figured I would put the butterfly among some flowers, and after looking through the different stamps I had available I decided I would try to make it look like the butterfly was resting on the leaf of a flower.
To start I stamped the butterfly in orange. (I considered purple, but orange seemed a better fit.) I masked it before adding the green leaf and stem of the first flower stamp, then stamping its flower in yellow. Using an old mask I covered the leaf and stamped on the next flower, again in yellow. I made another mask for that flower before stamping the third and final flower, also in yellow.
With the stamping done I removed the masks, and wasn’t happy with how it turned out. The yellow didn’t show up well enough, especially with the orange and green being so bright. Rather than starting over I restamped the flowers (masking as needed) with a darker yellow-orange ink. The stamping didn’t align perfectly but I think that actually gives a nice effect.
Once the stamping was finalised I ran the dark yellow-orange ink pad around the edge of the panel to outline it, and then had to decide on the other components of the card. This meant searching for suitable papers. I struggled because I’ve used most of my spring-like papers in previous cards. I found a floral design card which I thought would work well though the dark background wasn’t completely ideal. I also found the yellow-orange flower patterned paper that seemed like it would go well.
I cut a circle from the yellow paper, drawing around the bottom of an old yogurt pot to get the shape. I then cut the dark floral paper to make a strip, as called for in the layout. Then I tried to chose a plain coloured paper to be the background panel. Except none on them looked right. After some contemplation I decided to use the dark floral paper as the background panel and use something else for the strip. And actually in th end I did use the same piece of paper for the strip, I just turned it over and used it with the subtle pattern that is on the other side.
I used my adhesive runner to stick all the components together and decided it definitely needed an embellishment of some sort. I went for a simple string embellishment which I made by looping the black and white twine in three overlapping figures of eight and tying them off. Then I glued it down.
I’m happy with this card. It took a bit longer than I’d planned (and I really should stop leaving cardmaking until after work for exactly that reason… although, I’m not sure when else I’m meant to make them!) and I did have to adjust the plan along the way. And of course it’s not the most spring-y of spring cards. But I think the patterns and colours work well together, and I love seeing the proof that my stamping is improving!