I posted a water-themed birthday card recently, and here’s another one! The water theme comes from both Mod Squad and Seize the Birthday. The color theme comes from The Color Throwdown. I also incorporated Less is More‘s challenge to use white (a.k.a. blank) space that is not white, and Simon Says Stamp’s Wednesday challenge which is anything goes.
I really had no idea what I wanted to do when I started working on this card. I didn’t have any stamps that I felt would be suitable, so I started looking for digi stamps. I came across Free Dearie Dolls Digi Stamps and found a couple of different options that seemed like they could work, but eventually settled for this one.
I coloured the stamp using the same digital colouring technique I’ve used on previous cards. I made sure to incorporate the colours required by Color Throwdown. In fact I went so far as using the eyedropper tool to pick out the provided colours specifically.
Before I printed the image I decided to see if I could find a sentiment to go with it. When I found this one it seemed absolutely perfect and I couldn’t resist it. (Unfortunately the Pin links directly to the image and not its source, so I’m not sure who it should be credited to. If you know, please do let me know in the comments!) Having sorted my image and sentiment I sized them and printed them off onto white paper.
I decided to use the same blue colour (or at least as similar a shade as I had) for the card background. After cutting it to size though and positioning the components on it I realised it really looked like something was missing. I was reluctant to add anything else though as I needed the not-white space for the Less is More challenge.
After a bit of thought I decided to try adding a second layer of the blue, just slightly smaller. That immediately seemed to make a difference but still not quite enough. I tried edging the smaller rectangle, using my silver ink pad to do so, and that seemed to do the trick.
Assembling the card was very straight forward. The most difficult part was lining up the components properly. (Still something I struggle with!) I just used my adhesive tape runner to stick them all together. I stuck the sentiment so that it was slightly rotated as I felt that looked better.
I’m actually surprisingly indifferent to the card. I’m not happy with it, but nor am I unhappy with it. The stamp and image came out a bit pixellated, and I really need to try to work out how best to avoid that in future… I feel like the background colour is a bit too intense, despite being plain “white” space. Perhaps a paler/lighter background colour would have worked better. If I’d had one that would work!