Considering I didn’t have a clue what I was going to do when I started making today’s card, I am ridiculously happy with how it turned out! It’s so pretty. My main starting point for the card is the current Butterfly Spot Challenge which prompted the use of margins and mint (and butterflies, of course!) I decided to add in Craftyhazelnut’s Patterned Paper challenge, and Simon Says Stamp Wednesday‘s Anything Goes challenge. Whilst I hadn’t initially planned to, I did also end up bringing in Less is More‘s coloured card base challenge as it seemed right given what I ended up doing.
As I didn’t have a sketch challenge included in my list I decided to have a hunt around and see if I could find anything that seemed appropriate. I came across this one from the now ended Sweet Sunday Sketch challenge. It seemed like a good choice given the “margins” requirement.
“Mint” was probably the biggest obstacle to overcome in creating this card. I wasn’t sure if I had any paper that could be considered mint, and I certainly don’t have any minty inks. I went to the pearlised pale green card first. That does seem quite mint! Not patterned though…
I then found the paper you can see in the centre panel. It seemed like it was close enough to mint for my purposes, so I decided to use it. At first I cut it so that the panel was entirely the mint green texture, but I decided that looked boring. Luckily the piece with the flower in the corner was almost exactly the size I needed, so I just trimmed the length off and used that.
For the butterfly I did use the pearlised green card, punching it with my trusty butterfly punch. Whilst I liked the way the panel and the butterfly looked on the card they didn’t seem quite right, and I realised that the white background was just not right at all. I found a piece of the kraft coloured paper – which just happened to be the perfect size! – and used that as my background, hence being able to tie in Less is More’s challenge.
The last thing I needed to do was make the sentiment strip. I used a piece of white card, and the “Just a Note” stamp from my Avery Elle Petal Panel stamp set. I then trimmed the card down to size.
Assembling the card was very simple. I spent a fair amount of time trying to make sure the central panel was as close to perfectly lined up as I could possibly get it. Lining things up does seem to be a struggle for me! I then added the sentiment using dimensionals. I wanted the butterfly to overlap slightly with the sentiment, so I used my roller adhesive on one wing and dimensionals for the other, giving the impression of movement.
As I said at the beginning, I am really happy with this card. It turned out really well!