This card is a response to five challenges. I combined Daring Cardmakers‘ Elemental Inspiration with Dragonfly Dreams‘ Spring is in the air challenge. I used some snippets of patterned paper which allowed me to tie in Pixie’s Snippets Playground and Craftyhazelnut’s Patterned Paper challenge. I also used the layout from SugarSketch.
The Daring Cardmakers’ challenge provided an inspiration image, from which a minimum of three elements must be taken as inspiration. I picked out the yellow flowers in the background, the colourful floral paper on the presents in the foreground, and pink from the ribbon as well as the chevron shape of the ric rac.
I started by stamping my flowers, which are again from Altenew’s Wild Hibiscus. I stamped and masked them, using masks I’d made before. I wanted yellow flowers, obviously, but I know from experience that my yellow ink is not very good. I went ahead and double stamped each flower, first in yellow and then in a darker orange-yellow. I apparently didn’t line up the last flower very well for the second stamping… Oh well.
Having stamped the flowers I decided to work on the semi-circle part of the layout next. I picked out a floral patterned paper, trying to get one with a similar style to the wrapping paper in the inspiration image. I then cut it to size. At this point I decided the flower image needed to be mounted, so I found a snippet of yellow and trimmed that to size too.
I used more patterned paper for the bottom panel of the card. I went for pink and white chevrons to represent the ribbons as I mentioned above. I also considered a polka-dot paper I have, as I spotted polka-dots on some of the ribbons, but I decided the chevrons work better.
Next I needed a panel for the top part of the card. I considered using more patterned paper but that seemed like it would be overpowering. I also considered using kraft again, but after playing around I decided it was too dark and chose to use an off-white instead.
At this stage I stuck the various components together and adhered them to the card base. I played with the idea of leaving out the lines in the sketch as I didn’t have any ribbon that seemed like it would work. I really wanted to include a sentiment though, so I decided to make a banner of sorts. I used my Memento Tuxedo Black ink and “Just a Note” from Avery Elle’s Petal Panel. I then trimmed the banner down and adhered it in place with dimensionals to give it a bit of volume.