Here’s my second card of the day. Hopefully this’ll be a quick post considering it is quite late now that I’m done making them! Anyway, this card is a response to Sweet Stampin’ Challenge‘s Paper Piecing challenge, and Allsorts Challenge‘s Purple Passion. I also based the layout off the sketch from SugarSketch.
Paper piecing is a new technique to me. In fact I didn’t even know what it was until I looked it up. Once I’d worked out what I needed to do I had to decide on a stamp to use.
I decided to go for my balloon stamp as I felt it would be suitable for the technique. I began by stamping it onto a panel of white card using my Memento ink in Tuxedo Black. I then found some purple papers and stamped the balloon onto them too. I used Distress Ink in Seedless Preserves for stamping onto the purple.
Next I carefully cut up the coloured balloons to get the pieces I needed. I put plenty of adhesive onto the black and white balloon and adhered down the strips, giving the balloon two-tone stripes. My cutting was apparently not entirely accurate (understandable given that the lines between the segments of the balloon aren’t entirely clear…) and the panels don’t entirely line up, but it’s not too obvious so I don’t mind!
I mounted the white panel with the balloon onto a panel of purple in a third shade, then trimmed it down to have just a very thin line of mounting around the panel. I then took a piece of purple patterned paper to made my semi-circle, and stuck that down to the panel.
At this point I remembered why I normally measure all my parts before starting the card. Yeah, the panel was too big for my card base… Whoops! Luckily I had some white card that I was able to measure (with reference to an envelope I had on hand), cut to size, and score with my paper cutter so that I could neatly fold it. (Side note – I had no idea my paper cutter was able to do that!)
With my card base made I adhered the panel in place. I was really happy with how it looked but decided I wanted to add a sentiment. I went for “Best Wishes” from my Avery Elle Petal Panel set. I used Seedless Preserves again for that. After cutting the sentiment panel out I added it on to the front of the card with foam tape.
I’m really happy with how this card turned out! I think it looks really good, despite the issues I had with it. I’m very glad I was able to learn a new technique, and I’ve no doubt I will make use of the technique again in future.