I almost didn’t make a card today because I’m ill. I managed to get some energy together and wanted to have at least done something productive with my day, so I made this relatively simple card. It’s ironic, really, that it’s a get well card! The get well theme comes from 4 Crafty Chicks. I added Butterflies based on the Butterfly Challenge, which also requested fancy folds and fuchsia. Fancy folds were also the prompt at ABC challenge, and butterflies come in again with Simon Says Stamp Monday‘s Butterfly Beauty prompt and TCP Tuesday’s Wings. DRS Designs gave a prompt of 2+2+2, for which I did two butterflies, two colours, and two folds. And finally anything goes from A Bit More Time To Craft and One Crazy Stamper.
I began by making my card base. I took a piece of white card and used my paper-cutter to cut it to the size I wanted. I then scored it at the half way point, then scored one of those halves in half again. I folded along the first score as to make a regular card base, then folded the other score line back the other way. This makes what I believe is called a z-fold card base.
Next I cut a panel of the same white card for the front section of the card. I cut it 3cm smaller, so that it would sit 1,5cm in on all sides.
The next job was the coloured panels. I wanted these to be fuchsia to fit that part of my prompts. Fuchsia is a reddish-purple (I checked!) so I dug through my papers and found one that seemed to fit the bill. I cut out a panel for all the visible areas, making them 0,5cm smaller on all edges than their corresponding panel.
With the colour panels stuck I adhered them in place on the white card stock. I had a lot of trouble getting the one onto the small square panel and even wound up tearing it slightly, but worked it out in the end. I then adhered the square panel into place on the main cardbase.
For my butterflies I stamped my Kaisercraft CS952 Flutter in Memento Tuxedo Black onto a pale purple paper. This is a new-to-me stamp and I like the way it looked, though it’s quite thin and I worried I would tear it as I was taking it off its plastic backing! I stamped it twice then fussy cut the resulting butterflies.
I went for a very simple sentiment – Get well soon. I used Lawn Fawn’s Jessie’s ABCs to compose the sentiment as I didn’t have anything else that would work. I wish I had something with larger lettering that would have been suitable, but I made do.
The last step was to adhere the butterflies in place. I used my roller adhesive on the back of them, and picked off a couple of strips of it with my craft knife to be able to stick down some of the fiddlier parts. I purposefully placed my butterflies to cover the area where the fuchsia paper had torn slightly.
All in all I’m relatively happy with how this card turned out, considering my head feels like it is full of cotton wool. It was fun to try out making a different kind of card base. I do feel the card is maybe a little plain-looking, which a more prominent sentiment could have rectified. But I’m trying to make do with what I have and avoid spending lots of money on craft supplies!