Here’s my second card of the day. I’ve actually made three today, though I’m not planning on blogging the third now. Anyway. This is another response to Mojo Monday‘s sketch challenge as well as being motivated by the photo prompt from Inspired By All The Little Things. I also included Dragonfly Dreams‘ “say it with flowers” prompt, TCP Tuesday‘s summer fun, and Simon Says Stamp Monday‘s summer garden challenge.
Obviously I wanted to have flowers. Once I’d cut my image panel to size I dug out my flower stamps from the Altenew Wild Hibiscus set. I worked out which of the stamps I wanted to use, and what the layout would be for them. Then I chose my ink. I went for Seedless Preserves Distress Ink because I knew it would work well for the watercolour effect, and it’s a nice purple which seemed fitting given the inspiration image.
I stamped the flowers (masking as needed) using the purple ink, and some generic green ink for the stems of the flowers. I then found a paintbrush and used a little water to wash the ink across the flowers to give the desired watercolour appearance. I’ve actually never done this technique but I know Distress Inks are often used for doing watercolour. Plus I wasn’t actually painting, just drawing the ink out.
Whilst the image panel was drying I started looking for paper to use for the backing panel. I knew I wanted a rich purple colour. The one I found seemed a pretty good choice, though perhaps a smidge bluer than I would have preferred. I also cut a banner from the same purple paper. I decided to stamp a sentiment on the banner, and settled for “Congratulations”. This particular version of the sentiment comes from Avery Elle’s Home Sweet Home.
Then I was trying to decide what to do for the circle part of the layout. Initially I was thinking maybe I should look for a patterned paper to use for it, but I decided I didn’t like that idea. (Not least because I didn’t have anything that seemed suitable.) Then I considered stamping another flower and fussy cutting that to fit. But when I went back to the stamp set to pick out a flower I saw the butterfly and decided to use that instead. I stamped it too in the Seedless Preserves and coloured it just by using a wash of water to bring the ink across. I used a wash of ink from my Memento Tuxedo Black ink to paint the body of the butterfly. Once the butterfly was dry I fussy cut it.
Assembly was fairly straight forward. I used my tape runner to adhere the image panel to the purple panel, and that to the card base. I also used the tape runner to attach the banner and the butterfly, though I also put a dimensional under the top part of the butterfly’s right wing in order to add some dimension, though that doesn’t seem to show up in the photo.
I really like how this turned out. It was a very fun technique and it worked really well given the inspiration image. I do wonder if the card is summery enough for the summer challenges, but as summer makes me think of flowers I hope it will do! It was a lot of fun to make this card – I loved the painting! – and I’d definitely like to use the same technique again. I’ll have to get myself some more Distress Inks, as I only have this one and Spiced Marmalade at the moment!