The last masculine card I made ended up not quite as masculine as I’d initially planned. I think it still would work as a card for a male, but it’s not outright masculine. This card, I feel, meets the masculine requirement much more effectively. It is a response to multiple challenges: the layout comes from My Favorite Things; Tuesday Throwdown, Simon Says Stamp Wednesday and Craft Rocket all gave challenges to make cards for a man; Sweet Stampin’ required using layers; Craftyhazelnut’s Patterned Paper looks for use of patterned paper; and finally, DRS Designs asked for birthday cards.
The very first thing was to decide what on earth to do. That sounds obvious, really. Usually I have a rough idea of what I’d like to do before I sit down to start making, but with this card I really wasn’t sure.
I considered stamping an image for the focal point (where the circle is on the sketch) but realised I don’t really have anything in my stamp collection that seems like it would work for an explicitly masculine card. So my next thought was to let patterned papers shine. I looked through my stash for all the patterned papers I had that could be suitable for a masculine card, then tried to work out what might go well together.
I decided I really liked the paper with the numbers on it. Initially I was thinking of using that for the back panel with a strip of kraft down the middle, but then I decided to do it the other way around. Then I tried to decide what to do for the square panel. None of the papers I’d picked out seemed quite right. The one I settled on in the end was, in fact, the other side of the numbered paper. It goes very well, after all.
For the circle I decided to use kraft again so that I could stamp onto it. I was a bit silly and cut the circle before I decided what to stamp, which meant I ended up with it being slightly smaller than I would have preferred with regards to the size of the sentiment. I think it still works though so it’s not too terrible. The sentiment I used comes from Lawn Fawn’s Lovable Legends.
Finally I just needed to assemble. I used my tape runner to attach the strip of numbered patterned paper to the kraft panel, and the kraft circle to the patterned square. I then adhered the square with foam tape to make it pop.
I’m pretty happy with this card. I think it works well and is suitable as a masculine card. It would have been nice to have some kind of imagery going on, but it was nice to let the patterned paper take the limelight. And of course these recent masculine card challenges have really made it clear to me that that’s something of a hole in my (admittedly still pretty small) stamp collection, and something that I could consider rectifying.