I have a Christmas card to share with you today. It’s a response to five challenges. The layout comes from retrosketches. Sweet Stampin’ Christmas requested warm winter clothing. Crafty Hazelnut’s Christmas Challenge asked for silver, whilst the Christmas Challenge Extra is for anything Christmas. And lastly the Allsorts Challenge is looking for fancy bows and ribbons.
I started by looking for a digi stamp to use as I knew I didn’t have anything suitable for the warm clothing requirement. I came across this stamp from Free Dearie Dolls Digi Stamps and knew I had to use it. I’ve used digi stamps from the site before and think they’re fantastic! I went ahead and digitally coloured it before adjusting the size and printing it. I then cut down the printed image to fit the space I wanted.
I’d already picked out the silver card to use for the strip on the left and right of the image panel so I cut those to size too. For the lowest panel (below the sentiment panel) I used a patterned paper which is white with little silver Christmas trees. The picture really doesn’t show it very well, but if you look closely you can see them!
For the strip along the top I ended up using some washi tape. This is the only washi tape I own and I bought it by accident… Nice to finally get some use from it!
The sentiment panel is a strip of the trimmings from the image panel. I mounted it on the same silver as the side panels, using a very narrow margin for the mat. I then went to pick out a stamp for it, which was silly because I should have done it the other way around so that I would know what size paper I need for the stamp! Anyway, I managed to cobble together a sentiment that worked and fit. The first part of the sentiment comes from Altenew’s Halftone Happy, and the “magical” comes from Avery Elle’s Pixie Dust.
At this point the card was mostly assembled. Usually I prepare each component and stick them all in one go, but with this card I stuck down the image panel, silver panels and patterned paper first. I added the washi tape before I created the sentiment, and then added that with foam tape to raise it up. At that point I was very happy with the card and prepared to consider it done, when I remembered I still needed to add a bow! I didn’t have any silver ribbon to use so I went for red as a pop of colour and to help tie in the colours from the image. I did a double bow, which is hopefully fancy enough for the challenge requirements!
I’m reasonably happy with this card. I made a couple of silly mistakes which are frustrating but even so I think it works well. The digi stamp is really adorable. I’m not sure I like the bow. I feel like the card would have worked will enough without it… But it’s not bad.