My second card of the day was much faster to make, and a lot of fun too! The primary inspiration for this card comes from this week’s Muse challenge. I used Freshly Made Sketch‘s layout, and am also making this as a response to Seize the Birthday‘s anything goes challenge.
The main inspiration points I took from the Muse card were the shades of pink and purple, the butterflies and the repetition. I would have loved to be able to heat emboss the butterflies but unfortunately I don’t have the equipment. (But! I ordered a set which I will pick up when I’m in England – yay!)
With those ideas in mind, I started planning the card. I decided I wanted to mat the whole thing and initially was planning to do a pink mat slightly inset on the card base (making it look like there was a white mat beneath it) and then a pink panel on top. However I then decided that actually I’d like the pink to be more prominent, so after making sure that the purple stamping worked well on the pink paper I switched so that there would be two white mats and a pink top layer.
After cutting the pink pearlised panel I scored it 3 cm from the bottom to differentiate the top and bottom of the card. I then masked off below the score line with masking tape.
The butterfly stamp I used comes from My Mind’s Eye My Girl stamp set. I stamped randomly with the Seedless Preserves Distress Ink, varying between first, second and third generation stamping. I tried to vary the angles of the butterflies too. Once I was done I decided to use one of the smaller stamps from the set to fill in some of the areas where the gaps between the butterflies were too large.
After removing my mask from the lower part of the panel I went to chose a sentiment. I decided to go for “you are awesome” from Altenew’s Super Script (funnily enough it’s the same sentiment I used on my previous Muse response!). It’s not explicitly birthday in and of itself, but it seemed to work the best for the way the card was looking, and I figured I can stamp a birthday sentiment inside the card.
Originally I had been planning on having the score line as the only differential between the top and bottom parts of the panel, but it didn’t seem enough. I found some narrow, very pale pink ribbon and positioned it over the score line, using double-sided tape to adhere it at the back of the card.
I wanted to add a punched butterfly to the front of the card to represent the circle on the sketch. I couldn’t find any paper I wanted to use for it though. I was thinking of leaving it off (which is actually why I’d stamped the top part of the sentiment on that side), but then decided it was too important a part of the sketch. I took a piece of the same pearlised pink card and punched a butterfly from that. I figured I would edge it with the purple ink to help it stand out from the background.
I found a make-up sponge (side note: I’d bought a small bag full of make-up sponges a couple of years ago because they were on offer, but I’ve never used them because I rarely wear make-up… It was nice to find a use for them!) and used that to edge the butterfly. Then I had a spark of inspiration and decided to use the sponge as a dauber, gently brushing the ink over the whole butterfly and subtly changing the colour. I love the way it turned out!
As I left the butterfly to properly dry I assembled the layers. I used my tape runner to adhere the pink panel to the white mat. I decided I wanted to raise the mat up so I used foam tape behind that. I should really buy some white foam paper because that would be a much better way to get the same effect. Anyway, I stuck the white panel onto the card base using the foam tape. Finally I just had to adhere the butterfly. I carefully curved the wings up, then used some Tombow Multi Mono Liquid Glue to stick it to the ribbon.
I’m pretty pleased with how this turned out. It’s not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. The stamping didn’t take brilliantly in a few places, especially where it was second or third generation stamping. But the overall look is pretty good, and I think this is something I’d like to remake in future. I’m definitely going to try and do the daubing technique more because it was so much fun! I really need to get more colours of distress ink to do it with, because I only have two colours and I don’t think they would daub together very well.