My second card of the day is definitely a lot girlier than the first! And far quicker to make, though that may have been because I was working with limited time. (I had about 30 minutes between jobs to make it!) It’s a response to four challenges. The layout comes from My Favourite Things. Mod Squad gave the theme of wedded bliss – I decided this is a card for a bride on her wedding day! Crafty Catz asked for dots, and The Paper Players want a celebration.
I started by looking through my stash of papers to find any with dots. I was actually surprised by how many different options I had available to me, but also didn’t manage to find a particular one I was thinking of… In any case, I went for the pink patterned one you can see on the card. Part of the reason I chose it was because it is double sided, and the other side is the striped paper that I used for the middle strip. I liked the striped paper because it also incorporates dots and seemed to work well as the middle strip, and of course it coordinates really well with the polka dot paper.
With the paper chosen I just had to cut it to size. I cut three strips, the middle one slightly wider than the other two. I checked my measurements to make sure I was cutting such that the stripes would go the direction I wanted – that’s a mistake I’ve made before!
Next I was trying to decide what to use for the narrow strip. Now of the options I found seemed quite right. I ended up settling for a pink and white polka dot ribbon, though I still feel it is maybe a bit too bright. As I previously said, I was working with limited time so I decided to go for it rather than waste time looking for something else!
At this point I decided that I actually might want a backing panel. Initially I was thinking of just having the white card base, but it seemed too stark. Instead I used some pearlised pink cardboard that I cut to fit the front of the card.
For the sentiment panel I chose not to do a circle. I don’t have a large circle punch, nor a die cutting machine, and cutting out circles by hand is always frustrating and time-consuming for me. Considering I had to hurry it just made more sense to go for a simpler shape. I cut a piece of white card (this time I remembered to chose my sentiment first so that I could be sure the card was the right size!) but then remembered that white didn’t look right against the rest of the papers. Not having any other plain paper that would work well I went ahead and used a sponge to rub Seedless Preserves Distress ink onto the paper to colour it a bit. I then stamped my sentiment which comes from Avery Elle’s Be A Unicorn.
Finally it was just a case of assembly. I stuck the dotty panels on with my tape roller and then used foam tape for the striped panel. The sentiment panel is also adhered with foam tape. For the ribbon I used double sided tape on the back of the card panel. I then adhered the whole lot to the cardbase using my tape roller.
I’m surprised how well this turned out considering I was working against the clock. It’s definitely a very girly card! I think it does meet the various challenge requirements, even though it may not be initially obvious that this is a card relating to a wedding!