My second card of the day is also a response to four challenges. I am again including The Paper Players‘ celebration challenge. Allsorts Challenge and Dragonfly Dreams provided the floral theme, and Little Miss Muffet is anything goes. I didn’t have a layout challenge for this card, so I went and found a layout elsewhere.
I started by looking for a floral patterned paper. I have a few different ones but I really like this one with the soft pinks, blues and greens. Having the patterned paper picked out allowed me to choose appropriate colours for the rest of the card.
I found a coordinating pink paper to use for the back matting panel and cut that to fit the card base. I cut the patterned paper to be slightly smaller so as to have a matting effect. I then started considering what to use for the central panel. As soon as I spotted the pink vellum I knew I had to use it. The colour works perfectly with the rest of the card, and it would allow the patterning to show through nicely.
Obviously adhesive shows through vellum so I needed something to use to hide the points of adhesion. Luckily the layout provided a couple of suitable options with the sentiment banner and (in the sketch) flowers. I decided to use a butterfly on the top left corner of the vellum, in part because it’s the only punch I have, and in part because a butterfly seems fitting for a floral garden.
I picked out a pale blue paper in keeping with the blue of the floral pattern, or at least as close as I could get. (In fact, this is the same blue I used for the camera on my other card!) After punching that I proceeded to making the banner which I did with just a strip of white card and a sentiment from Avery Elle’s Petal Panel. Then I just had to stick the whole thing together.
First I used my tape runner to attach the floral paper to the pink matting. I then positioned the vellum and worked out where the butterfly and banner would go, so that I knew where I could adhere the vellum without the glue showing. I used Tombow Multi Mono Liquid Glue to attach the vellum because it was least likely to show if any got where it wouldn’t be covered. I used the same glue to stick down the butterfly, which I had curled slightly to give volume to the wings. For the banner I used foam tape to raise it up a bit. I then managed to get ink on it… So I restamped on another panel of white and used the Tombow glue to adhere it onto the raised panel.
I like how this card turned out. It’s pretty and delicate. The vellum works nicely. One complaint though is that the corners of the card seem too harsh. I don’t have a corner chomper yet, but if I did I definitely would have rounded corners on this.