This card took me a surprising amount of time to make considering how simple it is! It’s a response to just three challenges – the inspiration card from Muse combined with the layout by Freshly Made Sketches, and Dragonfly Dreams‘ Say It With Flowers thrown in for good measure.
As soon as I saw the inspiration card I knew I wanted to use two of the flowers from my Altenew Wild Hibiscus stamp set, and watercolour them with my Distress Inks. Conveniently enough the only two distress inks I have were the ideal colours – Seedless Preserves and Spiced Marmalade. Perfect given the colours in the inspiration card!
I began by stamping my chosen flowers onto a piece of leftover heavy white paper using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I then smooshed (technical term there) the orange ink onto my acrylic pad and added a little water to make a paintable consistency. I started with the thicker of my two brushes (which is still quite thin!) but did end up switching to the thinner one. Once the first flower was painted I used the same technique to paint the second one, this time with the purple ink.
Setting the flowers aside to dry I dug out my sentiment. Once again it is one from Altenew’s Super Script. I really love the font of these stamps and have been getting a lot of use from them since I got them! I stamped the sentiment using the same black ink I’d used to stamp the outlines of the flowers. I took the advice of a lovely lady who commented on my post yesterday and managed to get the stamp to work completely first time. Yay! (The advice was to use a mouse mat as a stamping surface, to have a little give. My mouse mat is not a normal one and husband was using his at the time, but I found a pad of large post it notes and tried that as an alternative which worked well enough.)
Then I began fussy cutting. That was the really time-consuming part of the process. I am longing for the day that I get a die cutting machine! At the moment though it looks like the earliest I’ll get one is December, and that’s only if I don’t keep spending all my fun money on stamps! But I digress. I fussy cut the sentiment first to give the flowers a bit more time to fully dry and then fussy cut those. I left a small white border to be indicative of the white embossed lines on the flowers on the inspiration card.
Before I began working on the final positioning of the flowers and sentiment I decided I wanted to mat the card. I chose a light blue as I spotted the little blue flower on the inspiration card. I cut a panel of the light blue and a slightly smaller panel of white to go over it. I then worked out the positioning of all the components and started assembling the card.
The white panel was adhered to the blue mat using my tape runner, which I also used to adhere the whole thing to the card base. I again used the tape runner to stick the yellow flower in place. In order to add some dimension I used foam squares for the purple flower. I also used foam squares for the sentiment, with a small amount of tape from the tape runner to stick the flourish of the “o” onto the purple flower.
I really like this card! It’s very clean, simple, and just really pretty. It’s far from perfect, and there are definitely things I would do differently if I could. Die cutting instead of fussy cutting, for example. And I would have embossed the sentiment and perhaps even the outlines of the flowers if I had the equipment to do so. But given what I was working with… Yeah, I’m happy!