I’d been thinking about making a thank you card with the Pixie Dust stamp set for a little while now. When I realised that some of the challenges in my list would be perfect for the card I decided it was about time I actually got around to doing it. I ended up adding a few more challenges into the mix too resulting in the card you see.
In fact a total of seven challenges ended up going into this card. The layout came from Mojo Monday. Cupcake Inspirations provided the colour scheme. Tuesday Throwdown asked for fairies and fantasy whilst ABC Challenge requested thank you cards. I also decided to include anything goes challenges from 4 Crafty Chicks, Simon Says Stamp Wednesday, and A Bit More Time To Craft.
I started by sketching the layout onto some grid paper so I could work out sizings. The circle part of the layout worried me a bit. As I’ve mentioned before I don’t have a die cutter, so when I need circles I have to do them by hand. After some thinking I decided rather than using paper for the circle I would ink it. I drew around a large plastic lid to get the size of circle I needed, then cut it out to make a mask. After attaching the mask to my card base I inked up a make up sponge with Spiced Marmalade Distress ink and started daubing the circle. I started at the corner and worked my way out to the edge of the circle, letting the ink layer thin as I went to give a somewhat gradated affect. Once I’d finished inking I removed the mask.
Next I wanted to make my panel image. I cut a piece of white card to size then worked out which fairy I wanted to use. As I mentioned, the stamp set is Pixie Dust which is from Avery Elle. I worked out what scene I wanted to make with the stamps, then began stamping. I stamped the fairy in Memento Tuxedo Black directly onto the white card. I then stamped the sentiment below her. I went on to create a mask by stamping her onto a post-it note and fussy cutting it. I covered my fairy on the image panel with the mask, then stamped the clouds either side of her.
I then began paper piecing. I decided it would be fun to use vellum for the fairy’s wings. I went with yellow vellum though I did consider green too. I then used some peach paper for the fairy’s skin, light brown for her hair, green for her dress and black for her shoes. Once all the paper pieced were ready I assembled the fairy. I stuck the vellum wings down first – I’d done them all as one piece, enabling me to glue them down in the middle where the adhesive would be hidden by the fairy herself. I used Tombow Multi Mono Liquid glue and carefully pressed all the pieces into place.
I made a mat for the image panel using some orange paper and then for the banner part of the sketch I used black paper. At this point I also decided to add some silver glitter glue to the clouds.
At that stage all my components were ready and I began to put the card together. Very straightforward – I used my tape runner to adhere the image panel to its mat, the banner to the card base, and the matted image panel to the card base. And that was that!
I’m really happy with how this card turned out. I think it’s one of my favourites! The paper piecing worked fabulously and I really like the look of the vellum wings. I think I did a good job of incorporating the colours of the challenge. I think I sometimes go overboard with colour challenges, using too much of the required colours. In this card I tried to be a bit more subtle about it, and I think it works perfectly. Hopefully the recipient of the card likes it too!