This CAS card is a response to three challenges. CASology‘s cue card gave the word “row” which seemed a perfect choice to go with the inspiration card provided my Jenni over at Muse (Edit – where this card got an Honourable Mention!) Seize The Birthday‘s birds, bees or butterflies theme seemed a good choice to go with it too!
I decided to stay quite faithful to the inspiration card and go with a row of butterflies. It seemed a good excuse to make use of the sweet butterflies in Altenew’s Wild Hibiscus stamp set. I stamped the three butterflies onto a scrap of white card using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I then coloured them in with pastel pencils, using blue on the top wings and green on the bottom wings. I then softened the colour by going over them with white pastel pencil. The green ended up not actually showing very well, but I don’t think it matters.
As the pastel pencils had faded the lines of the stamping I restamped over them. Somehow I managed to line up the middle one perfectly but still get the outer two badly aligned, even though I hadn’t removed the stamps from the block… Oh well. (Incidentally, does anyone else think that the butterfly on the right looks like it could be a little fairy? The base of the antennae has a bit that looks almost like a tiny head, and the end of the body could be one leg with the line under the wings being another leg kicked back. Am I the only one seeing it? Now that I’ve seen it, I can’t stop seeing it!)
I then began fussy cutting the butterflies which was quite fiddly and time consuming, especially around the antennae. Once they were cut out I positioned them on my card base to try and get an idea of where I should stamp the sentiment. The sentiment comes from Altenew’s Super Script. (And that means that I have now – entirely unintentionally – used that stamp set on all four of the Muse challenges I’ve participated in!) I stamped it directly onto the card base using the same black ink I’d used for the butterflies.
The final step was assembly. First I adhered the middle butterfly, popping it up on foam squares for a bit of added interest. Then I attached the other two either side and slightly lower than the middle butterfly. I used my tape runner to attach them.
I’m pretty happy with how this turned out. It’s a very simple card and I love how easy it would be to recreate. I still wish I had a better colouring medium to use though. I have dropped lots of hints to my family about getting me Copics for my birthday present, and my birthday isn’t until October!