This card was pretty quick to make but turned out really quite striking. The main source of inspiration was this week’s Muse as made by Anita Bowden. I also included the sketch from Freshly Made Sketches (I took a bit of artistic license with that middle panel!), and Moving Along With The Time‘s challenge to not use any designer papers.
My starting point was to make the beautiful orange gradient. I wasn’t sure if I actually had any card/paper left that would be suitable for doing this on as I had used my last piece on yesterday’s card. Luckily I found a suitable sized scrap that did end up working despite being thinner than I would have liked. Anita uses three colours of Distress Inks for her gradient – Ripe Persimmon, Spiced Marmalade and Mustard Seed. I only own two Distress Inks at the moment, which are Spiced Marmalade and Seedless Preserves. They don’t exactly blend together in the same way, being such different colours!
As such I made my gradient using just the Spiced Marmalade, using a heavier application at the bottom and working up to a much lighter covering of ink. Having other colours to include would probably have resulted in a smoother finish but I think it turned out well enough given what I had to work with.
Anita’s lovely flowers were done with a stencil and a similar gradient effect. Again having a fairly limited craft supply I decided to just stamp a silhouette image and sentiment in black directly onto the coloured panel. I went with the balloon from My Mind’s Eye My Girl stamp set as it was the most suitable stamp I have. The sentiment comes from Altenew Super Script (again!). I actually stamped them both at once, using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I then reinked and stamped over them again to make it extra black. The balloon didn’t quite line up, but I actually don’t mind that. I think it looks good.
The stripes on the balloon were, of course, showing the orange/yellow through behind them. I took a very fine paint brush and some water and used that to reactivate the ink, blotting it off with a piece of tissue to remove the colour and leave the stripes white. Of course as it is a silhouette it really ought to be solid black, but I like the way it looks with the white stripes even if it isn’t realistic.
For the black panel behind the image panel I actually cheated. As the paper I’d inked and stamped was quite thin, a black layer behind would show through. I did want the black edging though. My solution was to take a piece of plain white printer paper, trim it to the size I needed, then go around the edge of it with a black marker (I tried my ink pad but it didn’t work as well) just enough to make the border I needed. I then used my tape runner to attach the stamped panel to the blackened panel, and that to the card base that I had folded from white card.
I’m pretty happy with how this turned out. It’s not as flawlessly blended as the inspiration card, and I clearly need to work on my technique in that respect. Nevertheless the colours are striking, and I like the way the image and the sentiment came out. This is definitely a card I would like to try to recreate.