I bring you a colourful card today. This week’s Cupcake Inspirations challenge asked for pink, green and pale blue. I knew I wanted to use some of my new leaf dies for the green, and the rest of my ideas for the card came from that. The layout is from Mojo Monday. Simon Says Stamp Monday requested flora (or fauna) whilst Double D Challenges wanted some gingham. And with the layered patterned paper in the flower I had to include Craftyhazelnut’s Patterned Paper challenge.
My starting point was picking out papers to use. I knew I had the pink gingham patterned paper. I also found a suitable green and a deep pink. The light blue was a bit more difficult. I eventually found the flowery pattern paper which seemed like it could work.
Next I started on my die cutting. I knew I wanted to use the Tim Holtz Spring Greenery sizzlet, so I ran that through my Big Shot with the green paper. I only used one of the resulting die cuts on my card, and have put the others in my stash. I then had a look at the flower dies I had available for me and decided to use the Eileen Hull Flower Layers with Heart Petals, which is a bigz. I ran that through first with the gingham paper, cutting all three layers, and then with the flowery blue paper, again cutting all three layers of the flower.
I decided to assemble the flower already at this point. As I wanted to emphasise the gingham I used that for the largest and smallest layer, then took the middle layer from the floral blue paper. The remaining flower layers went into my stash. I used a brass brad (I really should get some in other colours!) to hold the layers of the flower together. I then worked out which of the leaves I’d cut to use, and used a piece of clear tape to attach that to the back of the flower.
I knew the flower would be going on top of the circle part of the sketch. I wanted to cut actual circles rather than having the flower be the circle (if that makes sense!) so I dug out my circles framelits and cut one in white. For the backing circle I remembered the pearlised blue card I have which is perfect for the required colour. I cut that one size bigger than the white circle. I used another piece of white card to make the tilted panel to go behind the circle.
At this point I cut and folded a card base from the deep pink card I’d picked out at the beginning. I began laying out the components on the card to see how they would work. I was considering using one of the leaf cuts in place of the banner in the sketch, but then wasn’t sure because I wanted to include a sentiment and wasn’t sure where else to put it. Husband helped, by pointing out the obvious solution that I was overlooking! So I cut myself a banner from white card, stamped my sentiment (from Avery Elle’s Petal Panel), and glued the leaves behind the banner so that the leaves are peeking out at the sides and the bottom.
I had originally planned to have the card portrait, but I couldn’t resist that sentiment! Given the direction of it, I decided I would rotate the sketch, simply because it seemed like it would work better that way.
Finally it was time to assemble. I used tape runner to adhere the white panel to the card base, the white circle to the blue circle, and the banner to the card base. I then worked out where the circle should be positioned and adhered that in place with tape runner before attaching the flower. The petals of the flower are on foam squares whilst the centre was stuck down with tape runner. One of the leaves is raised on a foam square and the rest are pressed down to the card base using Tombow Multi Mono Liquid glue.
I’m pleased with how this turned out. The colours work well and it does look pretty. It’s not my usual style of card though. (Then again, I’m not certain what my style is – I do try to experiment a lot!) If I were to remake it I would probably add a mat behind the white panel, and make the banner narrower so more of the leaves show through behind it. Perhaps mat the banner too…