The second card I’m sharing with you today (assuming I scheduled them correctly!) was made as a response to four challenges. The layout comes from CAS(E) This Sketch. The Daring Cardmakers provided the theme of strawberries and cream. Less is More asked for repetition. And Pixie’s Snippets Playground asked, of course, for snippets!
I began by making the card base from a piece of red card. I then added a strip of white, cut to size from a large snippet I had leftover, using double sided tape to adhere it to the card base.
The strawberries were made with the smallest of the heart framelits. I made five hearts, all cut from a snippet of the same red the card base was made from. Initially I was planning on cutting something new for the greenery on the strawberries but then I remembered I had some leftovers from when I last used the Spring Greenery sizzlet. I dug those out and found some leaves that seemed suitable, cut them off the branch and positioned them onto the hearts to make my strawberries.
The hearts were not looking strawberry enough for me at that point. I realised I should add some flecks onto them, like the seeds on real strawberries. Couldn’t find my black pen so I used a colouring pencil instead which worked well enough, though it doesn’t show very well in the photos. The pen would have been preferable!
I assembled the strawberries by attaching the leaves with a dot of liquid glue. I then arranged them how I liked on the card front, used a strip of post-it tape to hold them together whilst I added tape runner to the back of all but the middle one, then pressed them back into place on the card front. I then adhered the central strawberry with foam tape to give it a bit of volume.
Next I started considering my sentiment. I wanted to use something from Altenew’s Super Script again (seems to be my go-to lately!) but decided they were all too big. Instead I took one of the phrases from Avery Elle’s Petal Panel. Before I stamped it I decided I wanted to border the white panel. In order to do so I found some narrow strips of white paper and coloured over them with a black marker. I then applied a thin line of liquid glue directly to the card base and adhered the strips into place. Finally I stamped the sentiment. (And wobbled slightly as I removed the stamp, causing it to blur… Whoops…)
I think this card turned out well enough. It’s not my favourite. There’s definitely room for improvement. Bolder spots on the strawberries for one. Not messing up the sentiment for another. But it’s not bad.