Finally, after a longer than planned break, I am back with another card! In fact I have two cards to share with you today. The second will be coming up before long, but I’ll start with this one. It’s a Christmas card with a masculine twist to it, and I made it with nine(!) challenges in mind. The Christmas theme comes from Mod Squad, Craftyhazelnut’s Christmas Challenge and Christmas Challenge Extra, and Sweet Stampin’. Allsorts Challenge‘s touch of sparkle prompt seemed appropriate for a Christmas card. I adapted the layout from Mojo Monday. DRS Designs asked for ‘naked’ stamping (just ink, no colouring in). Finally Craftyhazelnut’s Patterned Paper asked for anything involving patterned paper, and Simon Says Stamp Wednesday said that anything goes!
I started by cutting my strips for the back panel of the card. I found some Christmas patterned papers that I had, and cut them into strips. I went for even width strips. I cut two strips from each paper, and decided in the end to use two of the silvery paper and just one of the green.
Next I stamped my image. The stag is a stamp I bought a while ago but haven’t got around to using because when I tried it I had a lot of trouble getting the image to take. It’s by Urban Stamps and is called Christmas in the Country – Stag. Now that I have my MISTI, having picked it up from my dad’s when we were in England, I decided I’d have another try, as it would be so much easier to fix any bits that didn’t take. I also decided to use a lovely vibrant green ink from the set of pigment inks I also got whilst in England.
Even with the help of the MISTI I had to stamp multiple times to get the stag to fully stamp. And being a pigment ink, the multiple stampings resulted in a very wet image. I did dry it a bit with my heat gun (yup, another new acquisition!) but apparently not enough because I still managed to smudge it when I went to trim the panel down with my paper trimmer.
So… I really didn’t want to start over, given how much time it had taken to stamp the stag in the first place. I decided to salvage what I could by cutting out the image, making the panel a different shape than that given in the layout. (Artistic license!) I went for a hexagonal die, making a frame from red to go around it. In hindsight I should have cut it so that the stag would be straight once the panel was in position, but I didn’t think of that at the time.
There was still some splodginess on and around the stag. Whilst I couldn’t hide all of it (unfortunately…) I could use my sentiment banner to hide the worst of it. Having still not got around to ordering the Christmas sentiment stamps I’m after, I went ahead and built my sentiment using Lawn Fawn’s Jessie’s ABCs. I guess I’m out of practice, because I apparently didn’t line up the “i” properly! (Maybe it’s because I was lazy and working on the floor rather than going through to the kitchen table…) I stamped it in Memento Tuxedo Black onto a piece of silver card which I then trimmed down to fit the front of the card.
The last thing before assembly was to add my touch of sparkle. The green paper already has some sparkle, but I also coated the red frame with Wink of Stella to give a little extra.
Assembly was pretty simple. I positioned the stag image in its frame and attached them to each other with double-sided tape. Then I used my tape runner to adhere the three strips in place, being very careful to position them correctly, before removing the back of the double-sided tape and attaching the hexagon at an angle. Finally I used my tape runner to adhere the sentiment.
I’m reasonably happy with how this turned out. I could have done without the smudging etc. but I know how I can do better in that respect. And as I said, I think it would have been better if I’d planned so the stag would end up straight in the final layout. I would also have preferred to attach the sentiment with foam tape for a bit of volume, but I haven’t got any at the moment! I do like the theory of the card, even if it didn’t turn out quite right in practice.