Here’s another card using the current Mojo Monday sketch. I approached it a different way this time! Inspiration for this card also came from: the current Muse challenge; the Butterfly Challenge which currently is P for Punches and/or Pink; City Crafter‘s red, white and pink challenge; CASology‘s watercolour cue; and Simon Says Stamp Monday‘s celebrate challenge.
Now, I had to completely scrap my first plan for this card because I simply couldn’t make it. I wanted to do a shaker card, but I’m currently living away from home and don’t have access to all my craft stuff. So instead I came up with a new plan. I decided that what would have been the shaker would instead be a recessed window, and went from there. Other elements I took from the Muse card were the black birthday sentiment, the butterfly, and the shades of pink and purple.
My starting point was creating the striped panel. I liked the look I got with the watercolour stripes I did on my Welcome Home card so I decided I would do something similar. I mixed up some pink and roughly painted in stripes. I then set the panel aside to dry. Realising that the white of the painted panel was too different from the white of the card base, I decided to cut a piece of pearlised pink card to cover the card base with.
At this point I started thinking about how to do the recessed window. I knew I would need some volume, and normally that would mean using foam tape or craft foam to lift the front panel. But I don’t have either of those, and I’m rapidly running out of foam squares. After a bit of thinking I decided to create volume with struts of sorts. I cut down narrow strips of the same pearlised pink card, layering them together in threes. I used Tombow Multi Mono Liquid Glue to attach them too each other.
With my painted panel dried I went on to create the window. I used a pencil to mark out my rectangle, then cut it out with my craft knife before erasing the pencil lines. I put the removed rectangle into my snippet folder to use in future. I then flipped the panel over and attached my struts to the back side. I put a strut along each edge of the panel, and also along each edge of the window.
For my butterfly I used my MISTI. I positioned the pink panel in the corner of the MISTI and placed the striped panel in position over it. I then positioned my butterfly stamp, which is Kaisercraft CS952 Flutter, in the window. Closing the door of the MISTI picked the stamp up meaning I could move the striped panel away and still have the butterfly stamp in the right place. I inked up with Memento Tuxedo Black ink and closed the door of the MISTI again to stamp it. I went ahead and restamped a couple of times to make sure the lines were nice and crisp.
I wanted to add a bit of extra colour to the butterfly so I took my coloured pencils to it. Actually I took my watercolour pencils to it, but I used them just as normal colouring pencils. I added a purple to the stripes and ‘folds’ of the wings. I then took a pinky purple to colour in the spots. I also wanted to add some shading so I took a very light pink, almost identical to the card base, and coloured along the inner edges of the wings, and the areas where the wings met. I added a slightly darker pink right on the very edges. I used the same lightest pink on the body and the ends of the antennae. Finally I added some Wink of Stella to the dots, which of course activated the watercolour. I made sure to clean the brush off on some scrap paper once I was done.
The next thing I needed to do was create and add my banner. I’d already picked out a patterned paper I wanted to use that would incorporate some of the red I was missing. (I had intended to have more red, but it didn’t end up that way!) I wasn’t certain if the sentiment would show up on the pattern but figured I would give it a try. The sentiment comes from Altenew’s Super Script. I inked it in Memento Tuxedo black and, with the help of my MISTI, stamped it several times onto my snippet of patterned paper. I then trimmed the paper down and added the tail to it.
At this point I started assembling the card. Utilising my MISTI as a positioning tool I attached my pink panel to my card base using my tape runner. I then added Tombow to all the struts on the back of my striped panel and positioned that over the top. For the banner I used Tombow where it would attach to the striped panel, and foam squares where it would go over the window. As it turns out the foam is thicker than the struts I made, so it doesn’t actually lay flat…
I debated adding a punched butterfly. It’s the only punch I have with me (and the other one I have at home is a snowflake border punch, so wouldn’t have been much use anyway!) so my only option if I wanted to meet the “punch” part of the Butterfly challenge prompt. I really did want to, but it was obvious that the butterfly was too big and just wouldn’t look right on the card, so I decided against it. I did, however, as a final touch, add a touch of Wink of Stella along the middle stripe to give a bit more sparkle to the card.
I’m fairly happy with how this card turned out. It is certainly pretty with the soft pinks. The camera doesn’t quite pick it up properly – I need to work out where (and what time of day) is best to take pictures in this flat! I especially love how the butterfly turned out. The shading really helps it come to life. If I were to change something it would probably be to make the window slightly shorter. I think it’s a bit longer than it really needs to be. But that’s a minor quibble!