Most of the time the cards I share here are ones I made the day I post them, or perhaps the day before. This card was made days ago during the long power cut we had. I’d actually had the idea the day before, and with the power out I decided to give it ago. Whilst I didn’t make it with any challenges in mind (partly because I couldn’t check my challenge sheet whilst the power was off!) I have since then decided to enter it to three challenges: Simon Says Stamp Wednesday‘s fabulous florals; Lawnscaping Challenge‘s patterned palooza; and Simon Says Stamp Monday‘s celebrate.
First I created my card base. Whilst I have a freshly built stash of card bases now they are all rectangular white card bases, and for this one I wanted to go with a smaller square and also keep with the monochrome feel. I found a snippet of chocolate-brown card which was exactly the size I needed – I didn’t have to trim it at all! I scored it, folded it, and set it aside.
Next I took a snippet of kraft paper and trimmed it down to fit the card front. I worked out where I would want my sentiment, and masked off the area with post-it tape.
For the pattern I used three stamps from My Mind’s Eye’s My Girl stamp set. Originally I was planning just to use the large flower with the small flower as a filler, but as I was working I decided I needed another smaller stamp to fill some of the spaces.
I checked through my collection of pigment inks and pulled out the brown colours I had. I took a small scrap of the same kraft paper and stamped three flowers on that, one in each colour, so I could work out which would be best for the card. I settled for the bronze shade as that seemed to give the best tone-on-tone effect. Then it was pretty straight forward. I mounted the largest flower on an acrylic block, inked it with the bronze, and stamped at random over the card, inking between each stamping. I made sure to overlap the edge as well as the masked off area. Once I was happy with the coverage I switched to the smaller flower and repeated the process, and then again with the smallest stamp.
I let the ink dry for a little while whilst I did other things, then I returned to finish off the card. Removing the post-it note I stamped the sentiment, from Altenew’s Supser Script, using one of the other brown pigment inks I had tested to make it stand out a bit more. I then used a brown coloured pencil to line along the edge of the area that had been masked, just to add a bit more definition. Finally I added adhesive to the back of the panel and attached it to the card base.
I’m very happy with how this card turned out. The pattern works very well and I like the monochrome look, though I can also imagine just how beautifully a little bit of added colour would make the card pop! I had fun making this and it was definitely a good way to spend the time whilst the power was off.