I have had a productive day of card making! Here is the first of two that I will be sharing with you today. This card was inspired by the layout from Mojo Monday, the close to nature challenge from The Sisterhood of Crafters, and the colour challenge from Global Design Project.
I started by going through my stash of snippets and ready die cut pieces to work out what I could use to recreate the sketch. I found some different circles in appropriate colours, and was trying to work out which to use, and what to have go with it. But then my brain said “how about a one layer card?” and I was intrigued. I’d already decided I would use a flower stamp from Altenew’s Wild Hibiscus. So I started out my stamping with the assumption that the flower would be the innermost “circle”.
I stamped the flower in the centre-ish of the card, then added leaves to mimic the strip part of the layout. I then laid one of the circles I had over the top, and drew around it with a orange-yellow to get the circle onto the card.
I started my colouring by shading around the circle. I used the darkest yellow-orange colour that I’d originally used to draw around the circle and softened the line slightly, then drew it out with a more yellow shade, and then again with a paler yellow to fade out to the white. At this point I realised that this could actually be both of the circles in the sketch – the white (negative) circle being the inner circle, and the yellow being the equivalent of the scalloped circle in the sketch.
I went on to colour my leaves, aiming to be as close to the “pear pizzaz” colour as I was able to make. I tried to pay attention to light source and add appropriate shading. With those done I went on to colour the flower, using pinks to get the last of the required colours. Initially I was using a deep pink-purple for the shadows, but I realised it was making the flower look more purple than pink, so I switched to a red instead, which worked much better.
The position of my sentiment was decided for me when I managed to get a smudge of ink on the card base… I’m very good at doing that recently. Anyway, I went ahead and stamped the sentiment, which is from Avery Elle’s Petal Panel, to cover the smudge as much as possible. And that was the card finished!
I’m really happy with how this turned out. I enjoyed the colouring, and I think my technique is improving. I also had a lot of fun trying to work out how best to adapt the sketch to something that is one layer. Often I take sketches and layouts very literally, so I really enjoyed how the added challenge forced me to be a bit more interpretive in my creation.