Here’s a card I made on Saturday, during my brief time at home. I did not look at my challenge list before making it but did have a vague idea of some of the challenges I thought I’d use this for, and decided to include some more once I was able to see the list.
The challenges that I am entering this card for are: Craft Rocket‘s things with wings; Pile It On‘s die cut embellishments; Allsorts Challenge‘s use at least two dies; Inkspirational‘s primary colours; and AAA Cards‘ new to you technique.
The catalyst for making this card was the stencils I’d ordered a little while ago, and finally was able to try out whilst home. I’ve not used stencils before, so that’s my new to me technique. I hadn’t bought any of the craft supplies that I’d taken when I moved back with me (convoluted sentence there…) so I was a bit limited on what I had to work with. I found some acrylic paints and a paintbrush and decided to use those.
I taped the stencil down using some masking tape (which I pressed off on my jeans a few times to reduce the tack) over my card base and got to painting. I started with the red in the top left corner and worked my way down and out. I didn’t want to cover the whole card so I tried to pay attention to where I was putting the colour. I then did the yellow and the blue.
When I removed the stencil I noticed that my painting had ended up a bit messier than I’d intended. The brush had gone under the stencil in some places. Perhaps I didn’t tape it tightly enough? I’m sure I’ll improve with practice! Anyway, I decided it was fine. It’s artistic!
I didn’t have any of my stamps with me so I wasn’t sure what exactly to add next. I figured I’d do some die cutting, as I had my machine available for a change! I found the butterfly die which I haven’t used before (sorry, I forgot to write down what it was, and I don’t have it to hand now!) and cut that from a piece of red card as close in shade to the red paint as I was able to find. I also wanted a sentiment. I have a couple of word dies, but most of them were too small. This “forever” die (which I think was from a Carta Bella set) was the perfect size!
Assembly was fairly straight forward, once I located an appropriate adhesive! I ended up using an almost empty glue stick. I covered the back of the sentiment and positioned that. It was a little too wide for the card but I just trimmed the excess. For the butterfly I only glued down the body, having manipulated the wings to give a bit of volume to it.
If I ignore the part of my brain that tells me it’s not perfect because it’s messy, I am pretty pleased with this card. I think it’s good to push myself to be a bit more relaxed (and that seems like an oxymoron!) when it comes to my crafting. Can’t let the perfectionist tendencies take over! I think the colours work well, and I like the simplicity of the card. Not sure what occasion this could be used for…