The idea for this card popped into my head this morning on the train to work. I’d been thinking about The Paper Players‘ sketch, and Cupcake Inspiration‘s “sweet inside”. When I had the idea I realised I could tie in Butterfly Spot‘s challenge to use kraft and a kaleidoscope of colour. And as I came to write this I realised I could also include Sweet Stampin’s no designer paper challenge.
So my idea started with realising I could turn the layout into a fancy/unusual fold card. And with the sweet inside challenge I knew I wanted to have the main decoration of the card be on the inside. The idea in my mind involved lots of flowers, and I figured I’d have a look for some suitable stamps whilst I went to buy my kraft card (because I didn’t have any of a suitable weight). I found some suitable stamps – they are from Heyda and I think they are just called “Stamp Set Flowers” – and as an added bonus I won on a scratchcard immediately after, and my winnings covered the cost of the stamps and card, plus a bit extra!
Anyway, I started by cutting down the card stock for my card base. I measured the size of the back/inner panel and added 1 cm on each side so that I could score folds to attach the front panels on to. I then cut down my outer panels, making sure they would overlap slightly. I decided I wouldn’t attach them until after all the decorating was done, in case something went wrong.
I started by picking out various green pigment inks and stamping the different greenery images from the stamp set. I tried to slightly vary the placement each time, so that they were different heights and had different spacings. I then began adding in flowers using a variety of colours for the kaleidoscope requirement. I mostly stayed with smaller flowers, but added a larger flower on each of the outer edges.
Next I decided I really should add some sort of decoration to the front. I masked off the edges and then used my Marabu Honeycomb stencil (I’ve really been enjoying my stencils since I bought them!) and seedless preserves distress ink which I applied with a sponge. I wasn’t too careful how I did it, but tried to go for it being darker towards the bottom and lighter towards the top. I realised afterwards I should have done the two panels together so that the background would have lined up better… Never mind!
I then stamped my butterfly, which is from My Mind’s Eye My Girl stamp set. I used two yellow for it, with a slightly darker shade towards the centre. I then fussy cut the butterfly. I was planning on leaving a border around it but messed up the cutting so did without.
Finally I just needed to assemble. I used Tombow Multi Mono Liquid glue to attach the panels to the flaps I had scored and folded. I also used the liquid glue to attach the butterfly. And that was that!
I’m really happy with how this turned out. It’s pretty much exactly how I imagined it! Of course that’s a lot to do with managing to find a near enough perfect stamp set to use for it. I really like the surprise of the little meadow hiding inside the card. I would be very happy to make something like this again.