This card is a bit different from what seems to be becoming my usual fare. The only stamping is the little sentiment, and there’s a lot of paper layers. My starting point was the layout from Mojo Monday. I am also including Simon Says Stamp Wednesday‘s anything goes challenge, and Craftyhazelnut’s Patterned Paper.
When considering the tall and skinny design I remembered that I had a black card base fitting that description, tucked away in my snippets folder. It was one I’d folded ages ago from some leftover black card stock and never got around to using. Of course the fact that it was black immediately had me thinking of halloween cards. I don’t make halloween cards, or even really participate in the holiday (it’s not a big deal over here), but a lot of the card making videos lately have been halloween themed as a result of recent releases from big companies.
I then recalled a particular patterned paper in a pad I’d bought recently. It is the Summer Drawing Pad from Crelando, and I’d noticed a paper with lots of little monsters on it. So I decided rather than my usual approach which would be to make an image panel as the main panel, I would instead put the focus on that monster patterned paper.
With that decided I started planning out the sizes for all my components and then got started cutting them. First I cut the monster paper as that was the only one I was certain I would be using. I then looked at the different colours involved in the pattern to decide what to use on my other areas. The green stood out immediately, so I found a similar shade of green to use for matting the monster panel.
For the horizontal strip I decided to use another patterned paper from the same set, which is the pale blue dots-and-rings paper. I chose yellow to mat it onto as it picked out those little yellow dots in the pattern.
I wasn’t sure what other colours I wanted to use at that point so I moved onto my sentiment panel. I used “hope your day is” from Altenew’s Halftone Happy, then spelt out “monstrous” with Lawn Fawn’s Jessie’s ABCs. I eventually decided I would mount that onto a piece of blue card stock and managed to find one that seemed to pick out colours from both patterned papers as well.
Looking over the monster pattern again I decided orange we be a good colour to pick out. I considered creating a mat for the banner part but decided against it. I’m still not certain if that was the right decision!
As I’m trying to be fairly thrifty with my paper usage I cut all my pieces down to minimise how much I am using. The green mat behind the monster panel is just a frame of 1cm in diameter. The orange banner is only 7cm long, and I cut it so I could position part at the top and part at the bottom to give the illusion of a full banner. I did the same with the horizontal strip, though I did not gut the yellow for that.
Finally I adhered everything together. I used my tape runner for everything except the matted monster panel, which I raised up on foam tape. I did use my ruler to try and help get everything properly lined up, but there are a couple of places that are still a bit wonky… I’m probably the only one who sees it though! That’s normally the way.
I’m quite happy with how this turned out. As I said it’s not the usual kind of card I would make, but it’s nice to really showcase the cute patterned paper. And as I kept the sentiment relatively neutral I feel this could work well as a halloween card (if I were to send out such cards), a “just because” card, or even a birthday card for a young boy (or girl – girls can like monsters too!)