I almost feel like I can’t take credit for this card, because it’s just patterned papers that I put together. And yes, I made the card, but I didn’t design the papers! This is my response to Global Design Project‘s food challenge combined with City Crafter‘s birthday wishes challenge. The layout is an interpretation of Viva La Verve‘s first September sketch.
The food theme was definitely the most challenging aspect for me, so I decided to take that as my starting point. I don’t have any food themed stamps or stencils, I’m fairly sure I don’t have any food themed dies, and even if I did they wouldn’t do me much good at the moment! I remembered however that one of the Crelando paper pads I bought recently had some birthday cakes. Those are food!
Looking through the pad I found a page of cut aparts (is that the correct term? I think it is) and picked out this little speech bubble one. Actually it was a rectangular panel with the speech bubble set against some polka dot paper but I decided to fussy cut it to have just the speech bubble with its birthday cake and sentiment. I then very lightly coloured all around the edge with a sponge and some barely-there blue watercolour just to give a hint of depth to the edges.
I then found the striped patterned paper which looked just like birthday cake in itself and knew I had to include that for the horizontal panel on the sketch. I also picked out a polka dot patterned paper to be the background.
I wasn’t sure what to do for the circle part of the sketch. If you visit the blog regularly you may remember that I bought a few die cut circles with me to my temporary home so that I’d have them on hand if I needed circles whilst away from my Big Shot. I ended up wasting two of them when trying to make this card. Neither of them turned out how I wanted them. In the end I turned to patterned paper again. This is a paper I’ve had for a while now which is double sided. It has lots of different coloured circles, and I went for this blue/teal one as I felt it fit well with the other colours on the card. Once before when I used one of these circles I tried cutting out the white parts and it ended up a mess… Rather than trying that again I covered the whole circle with a healthy layer of Wink of Stella to give it some shimmer.
Finally I just needed to assemble the card. For the polka dot background and the cake strip I used my tape runner. I then used foam adhesive on the back of the speech bubble panel, before returning to my tape runner for the little circle and carefully sliding it into place just tucked behind the speech bubble.
I’m pretty happy with how this turned out. I think it meets the challenge briefs nicely, the colours go well together and I like the hints of sparkle. I just wish I felt more like it was down to me! I certainly feel more accomplished when I’ve done more of the pattern etc. myself.