I’ve seen a few different takes on cards involving selfies. A couple of weeks ago I had an idea for how I wanted to do one, but didn’t because I didn’t have the things I need to achieve the idea I had. Well, I still don’t have the things I need, but when DRS Designs‘ challenge was for stamp selfies I knew I had to find a way to make it work! I also decided to include Inkspirational‘s primary colours challenge, Pixie’s Snippets Playground, and Simon Says Stamp Wednesday‘s anything goes challenge.
I started cutting by finding a snippet of watercolour paper and marking off the areas for each of the ‘photos’. I masked them off one at a time, stamped a little monster onto each (from Lawn Fawn’s Lovable Legends, which I adore), and masked them off too.
Next I took a stencil – for the kraken’s background I used the Growing Dots, Nessie has Honeycomb, and the yeti has Chevron Pattern, all from Marabu. I knew from the start that I wanted yellow for the yeti’s background, and blue made sense for the kraken. That left red for Nessie! I think I got my watercolours a bit too wet when I was doing the dots and honeycomb backgrounds as they bled out a litle. The chevron turned out beautifully though!
After letting the backgrounds dry I removed all my masks and got started with the colouring. I decided I would stick to primary colours for the little monsters (in keeping with the challenge!) I decided on blue for Nessie and yellow for the kraken. For the yeti I did go for more realistic tones of skin and fur, but I also tried to add more red into it, to help tie in that third primary colour. I used my colouring pencils to colour them. As they’re not really in a scene the direction of shading wasn’t too important, I just tried to make sure it was consistent on each little monster.
Next I cut down a snippet of white card to make backings for each photo so it would look like they are polaroids. I then found a snippet of black and stamped my sentiment, which is from Avery Elle’s Petal Panel. I used silver ink because I don’t have white.
Assembly was pretty straight forward! Tape runner for everything. Took me a few moments to work out the exact positioning for the photographs. The sentiment banner came in handy to cover up an area where the blue paint had bled onto the kraken’s tentacle.