The second card I’m sharing with you today is a very colourful, autumnal card. Would you believe me if I told you I only used white paper to make this? It’s true! I’ll explain the process below but first… The layout for this card comes from the current Mojo Monday challenge. The colour scheme is from Cupcake Inspirations* which went nicely with the The Sisterhood of Crafters‘ Halloween colour challenge. And finally Mod Squad asked for some splat!
First I took a piece of white paper (from an old art scrap book – not really watercolour paper, but it works if there’s not too much water!) that was just a little bigger than I needed and started stamping my leaves. I first used the bigger (outline) leaf from Hot Off The Press’s Leaves small stamp set. I stamped with Spiced Marmalade which is the orange distress ink I have. I then took a damp paintbrush and drew out the colour from the lines to fill in the leaf. Spiced Marmalade actually has a lot of yellow to it and became quite yellow when watered down, but I think that gives a good contrast to the outline.
Next I took the smaller leaf from the same set, this one being a solid stamp rather than an outline, and stamped it with the same Spiced Marmalade to fill in some of the gaps between the larger leaves. Distress inks aren’t really designed for this kind of stamping so the finish is a little splotchy, but it worked well enough for what I wanted to do.
I set the decorated panel aside to dry for a little while before returning and adding my splatter. I wanted to tie in the purple for my splatter so I used some Seedless Preserves Distress Ink (which, as it happens, is the only other Distress Ink I own at the moment!) to create the splatter effect.
Next I wanted to make the backing panel that the patterned panels would sit on. I decided to ink blend the Seedless Preserves onto a piece of white card so that the colour would exactly match that of the splats on the pattern I had created. I am not great at ink blending (which may be in part because I am using cheap make-up sponges to do it…) but as most if it would be coloured I figured it didn’t matter if it was a bit splotchy.
My green elements were created using the direct-to-paper technique. Basically I took a dark green ink pad and ran it across a piece of paper to get the coverage and colour that I wanted. I wasn’t very careful when I did this and actually ended up tearing my ink pad slightly, which can happen but is also avoidable! I’m not too fussed as it was a cheap generic ink, but if you’re going to use “proper” ink then be aware and be careful so that you don’t tear the pad.
I then ran the green paper through my Big Shot with my sentiment die (from the Friendship Expressions Sizzix Thinlits set) and then again to make my banners. For the banners I used the banner die from Carta Bella’s Forever Die Set. The smaller banner is the size of the actual die. For the longer one I partially die cut (so that the flat end didn’t cut) then cut it the rest of the way with my paper trimmer so that I had a banner of the length I wanted.
I then started adhering everything in place primarily using Tombow Multi Mono Liquid glue but also using my tape runner. When I got to the banners I noticed that there wasn’t enough definition between them, so I decided to edge them with gold pigment ink by dragging them along my ink pad, which worked exactly as I hoped!
I’m really happy with how this turned out! I love the pattern, and I think all the colours came together really well. This could also make a really nice Thanksgiving card (if that is something you celebrate) just by changing up the sentiment. Or even an Autumnal birthday card!
*Apparently I wrote down the wrong deadline for Cupcake Inspirations so I missed entering it to that! I’ll leave it in here anyway.