The second card of the day is again based of an inspiration card. This time my interpretation was a bit less direct. The inspiration card is from Muse: ChristmasVisions. The other challenges I am including are AAA Cards‘ masking challenge, Craftyhazelnut’s Christmas Challenge and Christmas Challenge Extra, and the Rudolph Days Challenge.
The main points of inspiration I took from the Muse card were the dry embossing, lots of white space, a cute Christmas figure, and a pop of colour.
I knew I would need to do some masking to make it look like the hat was on the yeti’s head. Of course I had to make it extra challenging for myself by decided I wanted his hand to be in front of the hat. The way I did this was, with the help of my MISTI, to lay down a mask of the yeti where I wanted to stamp, work out where the hat would be positioned and then (once I’d picked the stamp up on the door of the MISTI) folded down my yeti mask so that his head wouldn’t be blocking the hat. That way the yeti’s hand was still masking off the bobble area of the hat so it would be behind.
Once I had stamped the hat I unfolded my yeti mask and used it as a guide to position the yeti stamp. I then removed the yeti mask and added the hat mask. (Full disclosure – first time I forgot to add the hat mask and ruined the whole thing! Luckily I was able to turn the paper over and start again on the other side.) I stamped the yeti, realised I’d forgotten to fold the bobble of the hat back, and restamped so that his hand would be stamped properly. I then removed the mask and he was done!
Next I got on with colouring him. I used my watercolour pencils and coloured the hat first using several different shades of red to get the look I wanted. I then added a little grey onto the fluff of the hat to shade that. I used grey again on the yeti’s fur as I wanted him to look white. I used a tan brown and some pinky colours for his face, hand and feet, and a pinker shade for his little nose. Once I was done colouring I fussy cut the yeti and set him to one side.
I took a prescored card base and embossed it using an Xcut embossing folder called Filigree Circle. When I’d ordered this folder I’d misread the size – on receiving it I wondered how I would ever use it as it is bigger than the cards I usually make. However it worked nicely for this kind of partial embossing technique!
I decided to add my sentiment yet. I still have a distinct lack of Christmas sentiments (and yes, I know I complain about that every time!) but I put one together using the Happy from a Hobbycraft birthday stamp, and the Christmas from the same stamp set as the hat. I used my MISTI for positioning and MFT Black Licorice hybrid ink for the stamping.
The last thing to do was add my yeti. I worked out where I wanted to position him and added a bit of a shadow with grey watercolour pencil. Once I drew it out it softened a bit more than I had intended. I probably should have added more colour! I then adhered the yeti with Tombow Multi Mono Liquid glue and the card was finished.
Or it would have been if I hadn’t decided to go back in and add some Wink of Stella to the yeti’s hat. Which of course smudged the red onto the cardbase slightly. Whoops!
I’m very happy with how this turned out! There are one or two things I would do slightly differently if I were to recreate the card (which I might, because I really like it) but for the most part it turned out just as I had imagined when I had the idea.