My second card of the day actually uses a fairly similar layout to the first. I assure you it wasn’t intentional! Actually the results are very different anyway. My primary source of inspiration was the image provided by Time Out Challenges – I made a fairly literal interpretation! I’m also entering it to Double D Challenges‘ tree themed challenge and Pink and Main‘s autumn challenge, as they seemed like good fits!
I started by creating my wall and window. I couldn’t find any grey to use (of course I did once I’d finished making this card, but never mind that!) but I found a snippet of silver that was about the size I needed. I trimmed it to size and ran it through my Big Shot with the Trellis embossing folder from the Butterfly Lattice Set. I then cut out the window using a circle framelit. I probably should have cut that first because it flattened the embossing slightly, but it doesn’t matter!
I then drew a light circle onto my card base using the panel as a guide and started sponging in my background. I used Spiced Marmalade Distress ink and a cheap make up sponge to add the colour. I tried to blend the colour such that it would not be one solid colour but instead lighter to one side than the other. It looked a bit splotchy but I figured it didn’t matter as it would mostly be covered by the tree anyway. And as it turned out it became smoother once it had settled!
The tree itself is an oak by Stamperia. I used my MISTI and temporarily put the silver panel in place to work out the exact positioning. I then inked it up with red, orange, brown, and bronze ink. Yes, that’s a lot of ink. I kind of just did a few splodges of each on different areas of the tree. I stamped it and then repeated the process, not worrying too much about getting the same colour in the same place each time. The effect I was looking for was that kind of different tones. I stamped it like that a few times until I was happy with the coverage and colouration. I then inked the stamp with gold ink in some small areas to add that over the top too.
Finally I adhered my window panel to the card base. I considered adding a sentiment but liked the way it looked as it was, so decided against it.
I’m surprised how pleased I am with this card! It’s one of those that, as I was working on it, I really thought wasn’t going to turn out well. But actually once it was all put together it looked pretty good!