Butterfly Shaker

Butterfly ShakerWhen I started on making this card I really wasn’t sure how to make it work. A shaker card (as requested by CAS-ual Fridays) is all very well, but trying to make one when I have almost no foam tape left, and my acetate is currently in a box at the old flat waiting for Friday’s move… Yeah. It was going to be a challenge. The sketch challenge from MFT seemed like a good accompaniment for a shaker card in any case. And given what ended up going into the making of it, I thought I should also enter the card into Pixie’s Snippets Playground!

Initially I was thinking I would use some vellum for the window, as I knew I had some in my snippets folder. I had a choice of red or blue, and decided on red.

Whilst I was searching for that I also found a snippet of red foam paper (thinner than the foam people tend to use, I think.) I figured that could work for raising my shaker window. I only had a small piece though, which meant only one chance to get it to work.

It didn’t.

It cut fine. But it stretched out of shape on being removed from the die. And it was clearly too thin anyway.

Determined not to give up I looked around for inspiration. I noticed some cardboard packaging waiting to go for recycling. That could work!

I cut several frames from the cardboard packaging. I had also spotted another piece of packaging with a clear window just the right size for my shaker, so I decided to cut a circle of that rather than using the vellum. I also cut a frame from a snippet of deep red card to be the top frame of my window.

I used Tombow Multi Mono Liquid glue to adhere my cardboard frames to one another, as well as the red frame to the clear plastic circle. I then set them all aside.

Next I got to working on my background. I decided to use a snippet of kraft card for my panel and ran it through in embossing folder. Whilst it looked nice it seemed something was still missing. I decided to rub over it with some bronze ink which helped the embossing to pop.

Looking through my sequins for shaker filler I found some red butterflies which seemed as though they would work nicely. Initially I was planning on just using those but I realised that would be a bit boring. Having another look I found the holographic silver butterflies and some little silver sequins, and used some of those to make a custom mixture.

At that point I was ready for assembly. I used the Tombow again to adhere the kraft panel in place. I then adhered the cardboard frame over that and weighted it down with an acrylic block to make sure it was firmly attached.

Next I added my sequin mix. I made sure all the butterflies were the right way up (the holographic ones being a slightly different colour on either side) and as I wasn’t sure how well they would shake I spread the sequins out a bit to give good coverage. I then added the window over the top and weighted that down whilst it dried.

I decided I needed to add a sentiment. I went back to my snippet of red card and stamped the sentiment, from Avery Elle’s Petal Panel, using MFT Black Licorice hybrid ink. I then cut it down and used some slivers of the foam tape I have left to adhere it to the card.

Butterfly Shaker 2

I’m quite happy with how this turned out. The colours ended up working nicely together, and I’m impressed with myself for succeeding at making a shaker with my limited supplies!

Love,

Lady Joyful

Advertisements

16 thoughts on “Butterfly Shaker

  1. I never seem to have foam tape when I need it so your technique of stacking card die cuts could be just the answer I need! Lovely card with great upcycling
    Jane

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s