This bright and cheerful card is another one of those ones that has grown on me. When I was done with it I didn’t like it, but now I do! In any case, I made it as a response to three challenges – the main theme comes from Moving Along With The Times who asked for some birthday cake. The sketch comes from Viva La Verve, and I also included the Lawnscaping Challenge‘s geometric challenge.
My starting point was my little painted panel. I used the cupcake stamp from my little Heyda stamp set. I considered using the balloons and gift too but decided against it as it’s only a small panel and I needed the cake to be the focus. I stamped it with MFT Black Licorice hybrid ink which is both watercolour and copic friendly! (Not that I have copics yet…) I then decided to add in some little hearts to fill out some of the gaps. I don’t actually remember which stamp set I took that from… I have several with them! I think it might have been from Lawn Fawn’s Lovable Legends..?
Once all my stamping was done I got down to painting. I’d realised I’ve mostly been using my watercolour pencils rather than just paints when doing watercolour lately and figured I’d use the paints this time. I decided to try and go for a messy look, and was not managing. (Why must my brain insist on trying to stay within lines? I’m not great at it anyway!) I ended up going back over and making it messier. And then decided I didn’t like it… But as I said, I like it now, so never mind that! I went for a yellow-brown for the sponge, a red-brown for the icing (so it’s like vanilla sponge with chocolate icing!), red for the hearts of course blue for the cupcake wrapper and green for the flag. And then yellow seemed a good choice for filling in the background, because white wasn’t looking right.
Next I worked on my circles. I die cut them both and then started to think about what to do with them. I eventually decided to run the larger circle through and embossing folder. The Birthday Collage embossing folder from Darice has a section with a cake and cupcake on it which seemed ideal so I made sure to get that part for my circle. Again I didn’t like how the white looked so I ended up sponging over it with Spiced Marmalade which helped the embossing to pop. I decided to edge my smaller circle with the same ink which helped it stand out a bit more.
The smaller circle seemed like a good place to put my sentiment. The sentiment itself comes from a Jillibean Soup stamp set which I think is called Make a Wish. It’s actually all on one line, so I selectively masked and stamped it. I’m pretty amazed at how well I got it lined up! And, guys… I didn’t smudge it! Are you proud of me? I’m pretty gobsmacked, if I’m honest.
Anyway. I was going to start assembling but decided I needed a backing panel because it seemed a bit plain without. I wasn’t sure I’d manage to find anything suitable that would fit with all my other elements… But when I found this white patterned paper with the coloured stripes I knew at once it was perfect! I trimmed it down, stuck it to the card front, and then attached the other pieces. Everything was attached using Tombow Multi Mono Liquid Glue.
As I said (twice now I think!) I didn’t like this card at first. But really looking at it now I think it came together really well and I’m pretty pleased with it! It definitely met the cake requirements! And despite the sentiment not being immediately obvious as a birthday one I do think it is clear that this is a birthday card.