I have a Christmas card to share with you today. I made this is a response to the current Muse: ChristmasVisions challenge and am also entering it to both Craftyhazelnut’s Christmas Challenge and Christmas Challenge Extra.
This is actually one of those cards that I ended up mulling over the idea whilst I was at work. As soon as I got home I got started working on it. My first task was creating masks for all the elements in the stamp set – Simon Says Stamp’s Christmas Cats – that I thought I might want to use. Once I had all of those stamped and fussy cut I played around until I had worked out my layout and got on with the stamping.
First I stamped the topmost elements, using my guide sheet (with the masks in place) to help me position them correctly on my card base. These being the hat, mittens and present. I also positioned my sentiment (from Lawn Fawn’s Merry Messages) and stamped that at the same time. I used MFT Black Licorice hybrid ink to do my stamping.
Once the top elements were stamped I applied the appropriate masks then continued stamping. The smaller cat was next, then the scarf, and finally the large stamp.
With everything stamped I got on with my colouring. I used watercolour pencils and imagined my light source to be coming from the top left, which is my go to position for light source! I decided to go for traditional colours for the cats’ accessories. The cats themselves I chose to keep fairly simple, going with a soft brown for the larger cat and orange tabby for the smaller one.
Having finished all the shading I activated the colour with a damp brush, then used my heat gun to speed the drying process so that the colours wouldn’t bleed when I added the background. As the Muse card has that lovely soft blue background I outlined the components of my image with a blue watercolour pencil, then faded it out with a lighter blue and then an even lighter one. I again activated these with water before drying with my heat gun.
I’m very pleased with how this turned out. It did take a lot longer than I had intended but that’s partly because I had all the masks to make. I’m happy with how the colouring turned out, though I think more contrast for the shadows could improve the overall look.