Whilst yesterday’s card was one that I spent a lot of time thinking about, today’s is one that just kind of came together. It started out with two challenges that asked for pink – Allsorts Challenge and Simon Says Stamp Wednesday. I decided I would use the layout from TGIF Challenges, and realised that it would pair nicely with Sweet Stampin’s challenge to use stripes. Finally I am including Addicted to Stamps and More‘s anything goes challenge.
My starting point was the stripes. Yesterday I received an order I’d placed for some more Tombow glue. I’d ordered it from a shop I hadn’t used before, and was surprised to find a free gift of washi tape in with it! The washi tape was sitting on my desk as I was looking over the challenges, and I decided I had to use it. I cut down five strips of equal length, then laid them across my card front. I decided to offset them from one another slightly for a bit of added interest. I used my bone folder to make sure the tape was really stuck down.
Next came the circle part of the sketch. Initially I was thinking I would do a heart with a circle behind but as I was laying out the dies to see how it would look I wasn’t quite happy with it. I soon decided to do a flower over a circle instead. Of course with the pink challenges I had to use pink! I found a snippet of embossed pink card as well as a snippet which I had painted pink and white. For the largest layer I initially used a piece of pink and white gingham patterned paper.
After cutting my flowers I realised that the gingham paper didn’t look right with the others. It was too bright a pink where the others were softer. I returned to my snippets folder and after some hunting decided on the pearlised pink card that you can see in the picture.
Then I cut out my circle. I decided to use pink vellum for this as it would allow the washi to show through, and not contrast with the flower too much. I went for a circle that was about the same size as the largest layer of the flower.
Assembling the flower was very straight forward. I wanted the petals to have some freedom, so I applied Tombow Multi Mono Liquid Glue only at the centres of the flowers and then layered them together and pressed down onto the vellum. Turning the vellum over I applied more Tombow so that it would be hidden behind the flower and then pressed the whole lot down onto my card base on top of my washi stripes. As the flowers cut out with a hole in the centre (for a brad, for example) I stuck a flower shaped pink rhinestone over the centre of my flowers.
Finally I added my sentiment. I decided to stay with something quite simple. As I mentioned yesterday my birthday is coming up, so I decided to make it another thank you card. (Seeing as I’m being organised for once and have actually prepared thank you cards I’m sure everyone will forget my birthday!) The sentiment comes from Avery Elle’s Petal Panel. I stamped it in pink to keep the soft look of the card.
I quite like the look of this card. It is very soft and feminine, and the floral washi works nicely with the flower. I think this could also work very well as a birthday card, and may end up making it again for that purpose.