I made a card! It’s a response to a few different challenges. The layout comes from TGIF, the colour scheme from CAS-ual Fridays, and the monster theme is from Addicted to CAS. I’m also including Addicted to Stamps And More‘s CAS challenge, and the challenges from Pile It On and Pixie’s Snippets Playground to use scraps or snippets.
I had a rough idea in my head of what I wanted to do for the card. I started by finding the papers I would need. The larger panel is a snippet of kraft card stock which I just cut down to the right length. Conveniently enough the width was already right! I then found the brown paper to use for the sentiment panel.
For the orange and to add some interest to the main panel I used a stencil and sponged on some Spiced Marmalade Distress Ink. I tried to have a fairly light hand as I was applying it. Once that was done I set the panel aside and took my sentiment panel. I chose a sentiment from the Calm and Loving stamp set from CAS-ual Fridays and heat embossed it in white.
I moved on to making my monster. I picked the little yeti/sasquatch from Lawn Fawn’s Lovable Legends, which is one of my favourite sets. I stamped him onto a snippet of what I thought was watercolour paper (but apparently wasn’t…) using MFT Black Licorice Hybrid Ink. I used my MISTI for this so I could restamp him a couple of times to make sure the line was nice and crisp.
I then started on the colouring using my watercolour pencils. I decided to go darker at the edges and lighter towards the centre, as if the light was coming from in front of the yeti. I made sure to work in layers of colouring to make sure I built up the colour nicely before adding water and blending it out. I then set it aside to dry. (I ended up using my heat gun to speed up the process as I was in a hurry!) Once it was dry I fussy cut him out.
Finally I assembled the card. I used Tombow Multi Mono Liquid Glue on the back of my orange and kraft panel, as that allowed some wiggle time to make sure I got it correctly positioned. I used my tape runner to adhere the sentiment panel because I knew it would be going flush against the patterned panel and wouldn’t need the extra time to move it. I then used Tombow again on the yeti before pressing him into place. I positioned him so that it looks almost as though he is standing on the sentiment panel.
As a final touch I added some white gel pen to the yeti’s tooth, and a little glossy accents over his eyes.
I’m pretty happy with how this turned out. It’s a fairly simple card but I feel like it came together nicely. If I had white ink I would have applied that to the stencil before adding my orange, as that would have helped the orange pop a bit more.