I was meant to be making two cards today but this one ended up taking me so much longer than I expected that I just don’t have time for making another one. And because it took so long I’m going to have to try to rush through this post in an effort to get to sleep on time… So…
A few different challenges went into the creation of this card. The layout comes from MFT‘s current sketch challenge. The colour scheme of red, green and white comes from Double D Challenges. Simon Says Stamp Wednesday asked for Christmas Critters which went nicely with CAS On Sunday‘s pets challenge. Addicted to Stamps and More provided a Christmas themed photo inspiration. Craftyhazelnut’s Christmas Challenge wanted cute on a Christmas card, and the Christmas Challenge Extra along with Christmas At Sweet Stampin‘ wanted anything Christmassy.
My starting point was to stamp out all my little elements. The cat is from The Greeting Farm’s Purfect Cats set, and the accompanying accessories are from that set as well as some from Simon Says Stamp’s Christmas Cats. I stamped them with MFT Black Licorice Hybrid ink.
I then coloured in all my images using watercolour pencils. I actually took them to work with me and did it on my break. Then I ran them through my Big Shot with the coordinating dies to cut them out. I used my Wink of Stella to blend the colour out (which probably would have been easier to do before cutting them, but there we go!)
Next I started working on the base of the card. This took far longer than expected… I don’t have any square or rectangular dies so I had to measure and cut everything the old fashioned way. Also the lack of foam tape or fun foam meant I had to improvise on how to give the card dimension so that there would be space for shaking.
I found a patterned paper with a subtle Christmas tree pattern and cut that down to just smaller than my card base. I then cut a window from it, saving the inner piece to be the back part of my shaker. I cut a piece of acetate (once I found which box it was packed in…) to just larger than the window and adhered it into place on the back of the larger patterned paper panel.
Next I made ‘struts’ from some snippets of card I had laying around. I cut these and layered them four pieces thick to put around the window. I attached some clear thread to the back of the cat and adhered that between some of the struts. That’s something I learned from Jennifer McGuire. It allows the cat to shake in the shaker without him flipping around and upside down.
I positioned the smaller patterned paper panel on my card base and adhered it in place using my tape runner. I then remembered I needed to do my sentiment so I place my larger panel in my MISTI and stamped on a sentiment from Lawn Fawn’s Merry Messages using the same MFT ink.
Next I layered some of my die cut accessories (turned out I didn’t need all of them) onto the smaller piece of patterned paper, and adhered my large panel over the top. And that was the card finished!
I’m really happy with how this turned out, even if it’s not right… I managed to smudge the sentiment, which is really annoying. Also I had coloured a Christmas hat which I forgot to adhere to the cat – without it it doesn’t necessarily look Christmassy… Another complaint is exactly how long it had taken me. I really need to get some square and rectangle dies! Oh and it doesn’t shake very well presumably because there’s not enough depth. Must buy more foam tape and maybe some fun foam…