I made another Christmas card this evening and it’s a CAS one focusing on sentiments. It’s another one where I had the idea and then looked at what challenges I had that would fit with it. The challenges I went for are: the layout from CAS(E) This Sketch; the inspiration image from Inspired By All The little Things; the colour scheme from Merry Monday; Allsorts Challenge blog‘s request for a Christmas tree; using a Christmas song (I went for “O Christmas Tree”) from both Daring Cardmakers and Seven Hills Crafts; Simon Says Stamp Monday‘s challenge to use three of something (I used three colours, I also used one of the stamps three times); and Craftyhazelnut’s Christmas Challenge Extra which is anything Christmas.
I started by picking out my stamps from Lawn Fawn’s Merry Messages. The “have yourself a merry little christmas” stamp seemed perfect for what I wanted to do with the Christmas tree shape. I then picked out my inks to meet the colour requirements. The last bit of preparation was to cut a mask. I took a piece of scrap card stock and measured out a simple triangle with the base being the width of the stamp and the height of the tree being three times the height of the stamp.
With all the preparatory work I got down to business. I positioned the triangle mask onto the card base then used post-it tape to mask around it so that I would be stamping the inner section (the actual tree) first. I then removed the triangle again so that only the post-it mask was in place. With the card base in my MISTI I started stamping my sentiment using my dark blue pigment ink.
Once all the dark blue stamping was done I replaced the triangle mask and removed the post-it tape. I then stamped all the sentiments again using the light blue, making sure it was lined up with the original dark blue stamping. (The light blue doesn’t show up as well in the picture as it does in real life!)
Removing my mask I had another look at the stamps to work out what to do to include the pink colour. I eventually decided to add a “stand” to the Christmas tree. None of the stamps said exactly what I wanted to, again using my MISTI, I lined up stamps that had the words I wanted and selectively inked them to make the sentiment be the way I wanted it.
I’m actually pretty pleased with how this turned out, especially when I look at the photograph! It all came together really well, wasn’t too difficult to make, and is a really nice way to feature the sentiments from this lovely stamp set.