The second card I made yesterday is a Christmas one. Yes, Christmas just ended, but it’s less than a year to the next one..! I’m entering this into a variety of challenges. I again used the layout from My Favorite Things. CAS-ual Fridays asked for Christmas, with TGIF specifying a pink Christmas. Butterfly Challenge asked for a fairy and Simon Says Stamp Wednesday wanted some sparkle. Craftyhazelnut’s Christmas Challenge asked for a sentiment, and the Christmas Challenge Extra is, as always, anything Christmas. And finally, Pixie’s Snippets Playground asked for the use of snippets.
Every piece used in this card is a snippet, apart from the card base. And actually, you could almost argue the card base is because it is one I’d previously started stamping on for another project which didn’t work out!
I started by trimming down my focal panel and stamping over it with the large swirl stamp from TCP’s Polar Holidays using pink pigment ink. I then applied clear embossing powder and heat set it.
I stamped my fairy, from Avery Elle’s Pixie Dust, onto a snippet of paper and coloured her in very simply with watercolour pencils, then used the smallest of my water brushes (I got a 3-pack for Christmas) to blend the colour out. I ended up going over the hair a second time with the pencils once it had dried to deepen the colour. I also went back over the wings with my Wink of Stella to add some sparkle. I let the image dry then fussy cut it and set it aside.
Next I worked on my sentiment panel. It took me a while to decide what paper to use. In the end I felt the vellum worked best. It tied in the pink more without being too shouty about it, and it lets the pattern show through from behind. I heat embossed one of the sentiments from Lawn Fawn’s Merry Messages with rich gold embossing powder.
I adhered the patterned panel to the card base using my tape runner. I then used a combination of a small amount of tape runner and my new glue pen to attach the fairy to the sentiment panel. I used adhesive behind the fairy as well as dots of glue from my glue pen behind the letters of the sentiment to adhere the sentiment panel in place. The left side of the vellum was still a bit loose so I added a few extra dots of glue right along that edge to adhere it down without the adhesive showing too obviously.
I’m quite pleased with how this turned out. I think I tied all the challenges together effectively and the card is nice enough, though if it weren’t for the sentiment it wouldn’t be obvious that it is a Christmas card. It was fun to be able to use several of my new crafting supplies (both presents and otherwise) to make this – the glue pen may take me a little while to get the technique right without it blobbing everywhere. The clear and gold embossing powders are very nice and I’m sure I’ll get a lot of use from them in future. And I am happy with my water brushes.