When I started putting this card together I really wasn’t sure if the colours would work out. I worried that the browny colour for the stems and leaves would look ridiculous. So much so that I made sure to leave all the stamps in place in the MISTI so that I could do it over with proper green stems and leaves if needed. In the end, I’m glad I went with the brown.
My starting point with this card was the card base. I already knew I was going to do blue flowers so I hunted out some card that more or less matched. I had a fairly big sheet of this blue, enough that I realised I could cut two card bases out of it. I started doing that only to realise they would be folding on the short side, and I didn’t want to have a top folding card… Luckily before I could panic my brain kicked in and pointed out I could have the fold on the short side and still have it as a side folding card. Duh.
Next I trimmed down a piece of white card to be my main panel. I then took my stamps, from Altenew’s Brush Art Floral set, and worked out my layout with the help of my MISTI. I stamped the stems first in my soft brown, then moved the panel to the other end of the MISTI to add the flower heads and the leaves. I actually ended up doing the flower heads two-tone with a paler blue at the top and darker towards the bottom, giving a slight ombre effect.
At this point I stopped and went to work, which gave the pigment ink plenty of time to dry before I moved on to the next step! And that next step was adding gold heat embossing. I took some of the “swoosh” stamps from the same floral stamp set and added gold heat embossed accents to the lower edge of each flower. I also ran my embossing ink around the edges of the white panel and heat embossed that with gold too.
Next I created my sentiment. I took a snippet of the same white card I’d used for the focal panel and created the sentiment using Lawn Fawn’s Claire’s ABCs. My plan was to heat emboss that in gold too, but my hand went automatically to the blue ink so I figured I’d go with that. I did the same ombre effect as with the flowers, with the paler blue to the top and the darker blue at the bottom. I then heat embossed it with clear embossing powder to add some texture and shine. I think using blue instead of gold was the right choice, as there was already a lot of gold! I trimmed the panel down and added a banner tail.
I assembled the card by using my tape runner to attach the focal panel to the card base. I then used a small bit of foam tape on the tail end of the banner and liquid glue on the other end so that it would have a bit of dimension when stuck down. And then the card was complete!
I’m very pleased with how this turned out! I think all the colours came together beautifully and I really love the way the heat embossed elements stand out against the rest of the card. I can see myself doing similar cards in future.
City Crafter – Hello
Mod Squad – Anything But Christmas
Paru’s Card Making Challenges – Anything Goes
PS, If you’re looking for my photo-a-day series, it has now been moved over to The Joyful Soul. I do hope you’ll follow me there if you don’t already!