I decided to have another go at watercolouring my snow couple stamp. This time it went much better, although still not quite how I was hoping it to be. I think my biggest problem is lack of patience, or perhaps lack of time which I suppose causes me to be impatient!
I started by creating my card base from a piece of watercolour card stock. I then stamped and heat embossed my image, from Art Impressions’ Merriest Christmas Set, using clear embossing powder. I masked of a snow bank as well as the edges at the top of the card.
Next I painted in my sky using some watered down blue watercolour paint and the largest of the water brushes that came in the set I got for Christmas. Once the sky was painted I removed my masks and got started on painting the image itself.
Remembering the disaster of my previous attempt I tried to be more careful and let sections dry before doing the sections next to them. I still need to practice more patience doing that, though I admit it’s difficult when I’m trying to get a card finished in a set amount of limited time in an evening… Some bleeding did occur, but certainly not as much as had happened the other day. The heat embossing did help to keep the paint confined to the specified sections.
I went for a deep red for the snow lady’s outfit, and a blue-green for the snowman’s. I repeated those colours in the stripes of the scarf, also using a yellow for the rest of the scarf, and I used that same yellow for the bow and ribbon on the lamp post. For the snow of the snow couple I wanted to differentiate it slightly from the background snow so I used some extremely watered down blue to wash across and differentiate them very slightly. I guess I watered it down too much because once it dried it was almost impossible to tell the difference.
I set the card aside to dry completely before continuing. Waiting is not my strong point… Once it was finally dry I put the card back into my MISTI and used black pigment ink to restamp the image over top of itself and then added clear embossing powder and heat embossed it again. You may be wondering why I didn’t heat emboss black lines to start with, and I do have a reason. That reason is – hey, look! A distraction!
Okay but really, I should have done that. I think that the only reason I didn’t was because I’d had such a long work day, was really tired, and wasn’t thinking properly.
With my image completely ready I moved on to my next step – adding dimension. I went through my circle dies to find one of a suitable size – I wanted it to fit most of the image but not all of it. I then cut out the snow couple with the chosen circle, and also cut out three circles of the same size from some pearlised blue card. I adhered a blue panel on the inside of the card, glued the three blue circles together and put the image circle on top, and then glued the circle stack in place so that the image was lined up once again. Doing this gave a bit of dimension and also emphasises the focus on the snow couple.
I’m reasonably pleased with how this turned out. I think the sky looks messy though – I would rather have used Distress Ink to do the sky, but I wanted a pale blue sky and the Distress Inks I own (Seedless Preserves and Spiced Marmalade) would not have worked for that. I really should have done black lines for my heat embossing right from the start. Although actually the way it turned out gives an interesting almost frosted look, I think. I still need to work on being more patient and letting sections dry before painting the ones next to them, because there was more bleeding than I would have liked. But it’s not too bad.
Craftyhazlenut’s Christmas Challenge – Anything Christmas
Craftyhazelnut’s Christmas Challenge Extra – Anything Christmas
Less Is More – Dimension
Simon Says Stamp Monday – Start Afresh (use something brand new – this time it was a brand new water brush)
PS, If you’re looking for my photo-a-day series, it has now been moved over to The Joyful Soul. I do hope you’ll follow me there if you don’t already!