The idea I had when I went into making this card was not at all what I ended up with. But I don’t mind – the final result is much better than the idea I had! And I am ridiculously pleased with how the colouring turned out. Look at the purple flower! I can’t believe I coloured that!
I started by picking out the card for my cardbase. I was going for jade in tone and some of the pictures of jade I found had lovely blue tones through them, which is why I went for this bluer shade of green. I then created my banner from a snippet of white card stock.
I used my MISTI to create my scene, because I wanted to make sure that I could stamp the required elements onto both the card base and the banner and have them line up properly in the end. The stamps I use all come from Altenew’s Wild Hibiscus. I did some basic masking to create my scene, stamping the elements that are in the front first, masking them off and then stamping the elements that are behind.
With all the stamping finished I got on with my colouring. I used ordinary colouring pencils for this. I’d actually watched one of Kelly Latevola’s videos earlier in the day with her colouring a flower, and decided to have a go at the same flicking motion technique. I used four shades for the larger flower, going from a pink to a dark purple. I worked from dark to light, back to dark, then back through to light again, really building up the layers and texture as I went. When I was finished I was pretty amazed how it turned out!
I used the same technique with the blue petals and the green stem, though I only used three shades for each. I also didn’t spend so much time going back and forth with the colours as the areas were smaller, and the purple flower is the main focal point.
The sketch this card is based on has a strip along the long edge. I considered a couple of different options – a narrow strip of gold, a piece of ribbon, even a sentiment. None of them seemed quite right. In the end I decided to just make a subtle line using the dots from The Greeting Farm’s Purfect Cats and stamped them with clear embossing ink for a watermark effect.
I used foam tape on the back of the banner and carefully lined it up before pressing it into place on the card base. I then added three silver gems onto the card base using my glue pen to adhere them in place.
I’m very happy with how this card turned out. Especially the flower – I still can’t believe that I managed to colour that! Yes, I’ve seen better colouring around (some of the YouTubers I follow are simply amazing – I learn a lot from watching them!) but I really think this is the best I’ve done. Looking at it makes me happy!
Allsorts Challenge – Wings on Things
Alphabet Challenge – V is for Violet (the main flower is coloured violet)
Butterfly Challenge – J is for Jewels and/or Jade (when I looked up Jade I found it to be a bluer green than I had thought, hence my choice of card for the card base. Although it looks much more blue than green in the photo! And the little gems I added are my jewels.)
Inspirational – Flutter
Mod Squad – Bling (my little gems are my bling – it’s not a lot of bling, but I think it works!)
Moving Along With The Times – Something In The Air
My Favorite Things Sketch Challenge – Sketch/Layout (I turned the sketch on its side, and I also was a bit interpretive when it came to that long strip.)