Sometimes it is really difficult to come up with names for these cards… My reasoning behind the name for this card was the colour scheme for the butterfly. It seemed rather royal to me! In any case, naming aside I had a lot of fun making this card. And I do love the look of the butterfly.
I started by cutting down my white panel for the centre of the card base. I decided to round the corners on the right hand side, and did so on the kraft card base too so that they would match.
I took one of the stamps from Panduro’s A6 Swirls Corner and stamped it in a soft green towards the lower right corner of the white panel. I then stamped down my butterfly, from Knorr Prandell. I used gold ink for stamping it, but really it wouldn’t have mattered what I’d used as I knew I would be restamping and heat embossing later. I decided to use the gold ink just in case any of the ink ended up showing through after embossing.
Then I worked on colouring in my butterfly. I didn’t do any shading or anything fancy. I simply used three colours – red, purple and blue, and coloured the various segments of the butterfly until I was happy with it. I also added some grey to the butterfly’s body. I then returned the panel to my MISTI, stamped the butterfly again with my embossing ink, and heat embossed it in gold.
In order to add the small strip down the left hand side I masked off with some post-it tape and applied my embossing ink directly to the paper. I then applied the embossing powder before removing the tape – if I’d removed the tape before it may have left some sticky residue that the embossing powder would cling to. I did remove the tape before melting the powder.
As I hadn’t yet decided what sentiment to use I set my white panel aside and got started on the background. I used the same leafy stamp (as well as it’s counterpart) to add some interest to the card base. I used my embossing ink to give a subtle watermark look, and concentrated the stamping so that it would be emerging from beneath the white panel on all sides excluding the golden side.
Returning to my focal panel I added the little birthday sentiment from Altenew’s Super Script. I considered adding it to the top of the panel where there’s a lot of white space, but it seemed like too much of an afterthought up there. Adding it to the bottom where it intermingles with the leafy branch made it seem more like a part of the panel.
Fianlly I adhered the panel to the card base, using some foam tape to add dimension.
Allsorts Challenge – Let’s Celebrate
Butterfly Challenge – Butterflies and U is for Underneath and/or Umber (I’m considering the branches coming from under the white panel to be umber, so meeting both the prompts)
Time Out – CASE With Your Own Twist (the main elements I used were the central panel, strip down the side, and subtle background on the card base.)