This was an interesting card to make. Not only is it a very non-traditional Christmas card but it’s also fairly different from my usual style of card. I very rarely use ribbon or lace, and I tend towards CAS cards rather than those with lots of layers. Despite that, I actually rather like this!
I started by choosing a lavender card base, and cutting a panel of white to be just smaller. I then ran the white card through my Big Shot with the lattice embossing folder from Sizzix’s Butterfly Lattice set.
Next I cut down some snippets of card for my panels – a dark purple for the tall panel, the same lavender as the card base for the next, and then a white panel for the sentiment. I also picked out a piece of lace ribbon, and a pink satin ribbon to go behind it.
I decided to use the owl and wreath stamp from Pink and Main’s hOWLidays stamp set. I coloured the bow on the wreath purple to tie in with the rest of the card, and went pinker for the baubles. For the wreath itself I used an olive-green and tried to apply a slight texture with the colouring. I stayed simple and went brown for the owl. I kept all my colours fairly soft and neutral, and didn’t fuss too much with shading save to add some shape to the different elements. I used watercolour pencils for all the colouring and blended it out with my clear Wink of Stella to add some shimmer. I then cut it out with the coordinating die.
Taking the small bow stamp from the hOWLidays set I stamped a subtle pattern over my little lavender panel using Milled Lavender Distress Ink. I then used a purple pigment ink to stamp my sentiment, from the retired Joyful Tidings which is another Pink and Main set.
With all the elements ready it was time to assemble. I primarily used my tape runner to adhere my panels together, working my way up through the layers. I first attached the dark purple strip to the embossed background, then the sentiment to the bow patterned background before adhering them to the embossed panel. I then adhered my ribbons one at a time and stuck my image onto the top. Finally I used foam tape to adhere the entire panel to the card base.
As I said, I’m very pleased with how this came together. It actually surprises me how much I like it considering it is rather different from my usual fare. But I do like how it turned out, particularly given that I went into it without a concrete plan. This was one of those times when I started creating and let the ideas come to me as I worked.
Addicted to Stamps and More – Holiday
Sweet Stampin’ Christmas – Anything Christmas
Craftyhazelnut’s Christmas Challenge – Anything Christmas and Optional: Cute
Craftyhazelnut’s Christmas Challenge Extra – Anything Christmas
Double D Challenges – Lavender and Lace
Mod Squad – Texture (dry or heat embossing – I used dry)
Mojo Monday – Sketch/Layout
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday – Cute