Today’s card is actually two cards! I’ve been wanting to try this technique of mixing and matching two similar but contrasting images ever since I saw the technique done by one of the YouTubers I follow. Given that I created all the elements twice in order to have the contrasting halves, I figured I may as well use the other halves to create a second card.
I started by trimming a snippet of white and a snippet of kraft to just smaller than my card bases would be. I then started on the stamping. I used my MISTI for the stamping, which is very helpful for this technique as you want to get identical placement on both panels. The flower stamps I used are from Altenew’s Brush Art Floral set. I started by stamping the large flower onto the white card using a pink pigment ink. I then removed the white panel and stamped onto the kraft panel with a dark purple-pink pigment ink. I continued stamping my flowers, first on the white with the pink ink, then on the kraft with the purple, until they were all done. I also added some greenery using a bright green pigment ink. I did not mask off my front flower – ordinarily I would, but I decided I didn’t mind the look of it overlapping.
Once my floral panels were completed I started working on my sentiments. The stamps for the sentiments were sent to me by a YouTuber as a prize/thank you gift when they reached 500 subscribers, and I did not receive any packaging with them to tell me where they come from. I believe they are Unity Stamp Co stamps, but cannot say more specifically than that. I considered heat embossing the sentiment in white on the kraft part and black on the white, but decided to simply stamp in black on both. I used MFT Black Licorice Hybrid Ink for the stamping, and stamped onto a couple of suitable sized snippets of card which I then trimmed t make sure they would match.
Next I had to cut my panels in half. I admit it was a little bit daunting as I was worried I would ruin them, which would have been very frustrating after the time I’d put into them. Thankfully I managed to get the cuts almost perfectly in the centre. I then swapped so that each kraft half matched up with a white half.
I chose colourful card bases for my cards, one a bright pink and the other a softer purple. I thought they would help to bring out the colours of the flowers, and would contrast well with the neutral panels. As the sizes of the panels weren’t quite perfect (there’s a margin of error with the paper trimmer!) I decided that the kraft panels would be adhered flat and the white panels on foam tape. That way the dimension would help to slightly disguise the imperfections. I used my tape runner to adhere the kraft floral panels to the card bases, then foam tape for the white floral panels. I then used foam tape for the white parts of the sentiment and double sided tape for the kraft sides, making sure to adhere them so that the sentiment card colours mirrored the colour of the card they were on. (If that makes sense… You can see what I mean in the pictures!)
I’m very happy with these cards. It was fun making them – I enjoyed the technique and it was also nice to be able to get two cards from one. The colour scheme and florals definitely makes these cards very feminine, and I do like the encouraging messages in the sentiments, which paired nicely together. Of the two, I prefer the one on the brighter card base as I think it helps make the flowers pop even more.
AAA Cards – Bright and Beautiful
Cupcake Inspirations – Colour Palette: Spring, Pink, Orchid (The colour I chose for orchid, which I used on the kraft card stock, dried back a bit redder than I’d expected… I probably should have tried how it would look on the kraft before committing!)
Mod Squad – Positive/Negative
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday – Hint of Pink
STAMPlorations CAS Card Challenge – Anything Cas and Optional: Feminine Colours
Watercooler Wednesday – Anything Feminine Goes
Simon Says Stamp Work It Wednesday – Rain or Flowers