Despite really loving the stamp set and other goodies in Simon Says Stamp’s Wild and Colorful card kit, I’ve not yet got very much use from it. Today I had a fairly simple idea for something I could make with it, and couldn’t see a reason why not. So here it is!
Next I stamped the elephant from the Wild Cuddly Critters stamp set onto a snippet of watercolour card using MFT Black Licorice Hybrid Ink. I used my watercolour pencils in various shades of blue to create my bright blue elephant. I went with the idea of the light source being directly above the elephant. I then used my Wink of Stella to blend it out. I let it dry (whilst I was at work) then added a couple more layers of colour to really build the depth. Once it was all dry I fussy cut the elephant and set it aside.
Next I created my sentiment strip. I took a snippet of white card and repeatedly stamped across it with one of the sentiments from the stamp set. I used the Orange Slush Hybrid Ink from the Fresh Fruit set that came in the card kit. I used my MISTI for the stamping to get the best alingment. I then trimmed the panel down to be the correct height. With an orange watercolour pencil I added some colour to the lower portion of the block letters on one of the versions, then blended it up with my Wink of Stella for an ombre look.
As a final touch I created an embossed vellum layer from a snippet of vellum to add some extra interest to the card. I’ve not embossed vellum before, and it was a bit tricky as it is very delicate and just wanted to tear. I think next time I will try less pressure when I run it through the Big shot and see if that works better.
I used some tape runner behind the elephant to attach it to the sentiment strip. I also added a line of tape runner behind the vellum where I knew it would be hidden, and attached that to the card base. I wanted to pop up my sentiment strip and decided to use some scraps of fun foam to do so. I adhered the fun foam to the back of the sentiment strip using my tape runner then used the same to adhere the foam backing to the card base, hiding the adhesive on the vellum in the process. As the ends of the vellum were a little flappy I added a smidgen of glue pen to hold them in place, as glue pen doesn’t show too much through the vellum.
As a final touch I added some Glossy Accents to the elephant’s eyes.
I’m pretty pleased with how this card turned out. It was fairly quick and easy to put together. The elephant was probably the most time consuming part simply because I did several layers of colouring, and fussy cutting takes time too.
AAA Cards – Bright and Beautiful
MFT Color Challenge – Colour Palette (I tried to bring both shades of blue into my elephant – the darker got a bit lost, and can now be most noticeably seen on his toenails!)
MFT Sketch Challenge – Sketch/Layout
Pixie’s Snippets Playground – Snippets