Amongst The Clouds

It’s been a few months since I last used these fairy stamps, so I figured it was about time I pull them out to make a card. I believe this is the first time I’ve used all three of the fairies on one card, and I’m very pleased with how they look together. I really enjoyed creating the cloud background behind them too, and it’s the first time I’ve used that particular technique.

I started by cutting a panel of watercolour paper and working out the positioning for my fairies, which come from Avery Elle’s Pixie Dust stamp set. Once I was happy with the layout I stamped the fairies with MFT Black Licorice Hybrid Ink. I used my MISTI so that I could double stamp, as I was using the rough side of the watercolour paper and wanted to ensure I got a good impression. I then created masked off each of the fairy. I already had a mask ready for the fairy at the bottom, but had to stamp out and fussy cut new ones for the other two. Actually, I made two for the fairy with the ponytail as the first one I made seems to have been taken away by gremlins. After applying the masks to the fairies I stamped a cloud for the bottom fairy to stand on. I later decided I didn’t like the cloud, and hid it behind my sentiment.

With the fairies masked of I started working on the background for the panel. I used the largest of Lawn Fawn’s Simple Puffy Clouds dies to cut out a mask from some scrap paper. Starting at the top of the panel I held the mask in place, then blended some Spun Sugar Distress Ink along the top edge of the cloud. I moved the cloud across and down the card, blending a section at a time, until the whole panel was covered with soft and fluffy pink clouds. As I mentioned, I’ve not done this technique before but I’ve seen it several times and love the effect. I’d never tried it because I don’t have a cloud border die, and I didn’t think it would work as well with just a basic cloud shape. I’m glad I tried it anyway because it turned out far better than I expected!

Moving on to the fairies I removed all the masks and started on colouring. Asides from the hair I stayed very simple, with one pencil per colour. I applied the pencil to the area where the shadow would be, considering the light to be coming from the right hand side, and blended it across with my Wink of Stella. I used several four or five pencils for each fairy’s hair as I wanted to get some good texture and realistic colour in there – real hair has lots of different tones in it. I decided to do each fairy so that their dress, shoes and wings were the same colour. For the wings I just added a much lighter layer of colour to give the impression of transparency. I ended up bringing in a slightly purpler pencil for the pink wings because they were otherwise disappearing into the background.

I decided to give the flying fairies wands for a bit of extra interest on the image. I went back in and stamped those with the same MFT ink, then coloured them with the same yellow and pink pencils I had used before. Thankfully as the background was so pale it was easy to add colour over the top of it.

As I mentioned, I had originally stamped a cloud for the standing fairy to be standing on, but it looked too harsh against the softer of the background. I decided to just cover it with a sentiment panel. I picked one of the sentiments from the stamp set, making sure it was tall enough to cover the cloud, and stamped it onto a piece of the same white card that I was using for my card base. Ordinarily I don’t like using watercolour paper and regular white card directly against each other because the different shades of white look odd against eachother. But in this case as I’d created the cloud background covering the watercolour panel I felt the difference in colour didn’t look as strange. After stamping the sentiment I trimmed it down and cut off the end at an angle.

I wanted to create a few more elements to add interest behind the panel. I found a snippet of dark green and trimmed it to the size I wanted, then ran it through an embossing folder for some extra texture. I then trimmed a snippet of pink and another of yellow to create banners behind the green panel.

I adhered the pink and yellow strips together using my glue pen, and used that again to adhere them to the back of the green panel. I used foam tape to attach the sentiment to the image panel, then used my tape runner to attach some craft foam to the back of the panel. I used tape runner again on the back of the foam and attached the green panel to it, then adhered the whole thing to the card base.

I’m really happy with this card. I love how the image panel turned out, and I do really like the cloud background. I’m definitely going to try to do that technique more often! I also like the softness of the image panel in contrast to the brighter coordinating colours of the background papers. (Although the green I used has less blue to it than the green colouring I did – it was the closest I had!)

Love,

Lady Joyful

Challenges included:

AAA Cards – Bright and Beautiful

Mojo Monday – Sketch/Layout

Moving Along With The Times – Fairies

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday – A Hint Of Pink

TGIF – Color Palette (I aimed to represent each colour on a fairy, and again in the background papers)

 

Advertisements

14 thoughts on “Amongst The Clouds

  1. Super cute and pretty. Love all the colours you’ve used on your fairies and a great design too. Good luck with the DT call and Thanks for playing along at AAA Cards this week

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s