I decided on a one layer watercolour creation for today’s card. It has a floral theme, with the flowers themselves having a bit of an abstract, geometric look to them. I actually struggled with the watercolouring, most likely because the areas of the petals are so small. I did get into the stride of it after a little while though, so thankfully it didn’t turn out too terribly!
I started by cutting a piece of heavy watercolour paper down to create a card base. I then very lightly drew in pencil lines to give me a guide for where to stamp the flowers. The flowers come from Pink and Main’s Doodled Flowers stamp set. I first stamped a line of the smaller flowers using Spun Sugar Distress ink, then stamped two lines of the larger flowers with Spiced Marmalade Distress Ink.
Next I started painting the flowers. I started with the little ones, and (after the intial flower that I hadn’t really thought through…) went around painting every other petal with the Spun Sugar. I then did the same on the larger flowers with the Spiced Marmalade. Once the flowers were dry I went back in and added a slightly darker shade to the lower portion (closest to the flower centre) of each of the previously coloured petals. The Spun Sugar didn’t have enough differentiation of shades, so I found a brighter pink and used that to add the shading. I let all the flowers dry again, which didn’t take long, then went back in to colour the petals that I’d left unpainted. I applied a single unshaded layer to each of these petals, giving the look of a highlight to the flowers.
With all the painting done I began adding splatter. I think I got a bit carried away with it, in fact! I added splatter in each colour – the bright pink as well as the paler Spun Sugar, the Spiced Marmalade, and I bought in some black which I watered down to a dark grey.
The final element to add was my sentiment. I picked a sentiment from Avery Elle’s Petal Panel, stamped it with the same black ink and heat embossed in clear. I then went back and carefully restamped each of the smaller flowers, this time with the brighter pink colour, because the lines had become completely lost and left them looking rather like odd blobs…
I can’t seem to decide if I like this card. I’m certainly not entirely happy with it. I didn’t get into my stride with painting the flowers until I’d already worked on several. At least the ones I painted later look reasonable. Some of the pink ones really did turn into blobby messes though… And I do feel I went a bit overboard with the splatters! That said, I don’t think it’s a bad card exactly. And it was nice to make something, regardless of how it turned out.
Addicted to Stamps and More – Make Your Mark
Allsorts Challenge Blog – Happy Birthday
CAS Mix Up – Stamping + Splattering + Your Choice (I chose heat embossing.)
CAS Watercolour – Flowers
Double D Challenges – Flowers Galore
Mod Squad Challenge – Floral Framed Sentiments
MFT Color Challenge – Colour Palette
MFT Sketch Challenge – Sketch/Layout
Work It Wednesday – Rain or Flowers